Night Three

Whispers awoke me a few hours later.

                I tried to block them out. They must be figments of my imagination. Who in their right mind could possibly be up this late at night after such a grueling day working?

                Nonetheless, I pulled the flat pillow over my ears, trying to block out the noise. I needed to get as much rest as possible.

                The whispers increased, seeming to gain more participants. The noise level remained at a low one. Just loud enough to keep sleep away.

                I coughed loudly, trying to give a subtle hint.

                There was a falter in the flow of voices.

                It quickly resumed to its original noise level.

                Slowly, I pried my eyes open, turning my head to the side. The cabin was dark. No lights were on. A dim light flowed in from the outside through the cracks in the building. It was enough to provide silhouettes. Five or so stood in the center of the room, everyone huddled together. They seemed as if they were getting ready to leave.

                My eyes scanned the upper bunks of the room. Two of them were empty. All others were filled with sleepers.

                My eyes furrowed together in confusion.

                One of the silhouettes moved towards the door, gently pulling it open. The four others scurried over to the side out of the light shining in.

                Hesitantly, I slide down the side of the bunk bed, trying to create as little attention as possible. Curiosity nagged at the back of my brain. There had to be a reason as to why five people were awake at this crazy hour.

                The first person slipped out of the hut swiftly.

                A few seconds later, a second person left the cabin with just as much ease.

                Then a third, and fourth.

                The last person closed the door behind them quietly. It barely made a noise as it settled back into its original position.

                A moment passed before I hurried over to the door, slipping out as well.

                Two moons lit up the world. The ground looked as if it had been painted silver in the light. A cool breeze blew by, gently playing with my hair. The silence swarmed around, disturbing only by the sounds of footsteps shuffling off in the distance.

                I held my breath, trying to be quiet as I moved in the direction of the footsteps.

                A few seconds later, my eyes caught just a glimpse of the silhouette I had followed outside. I picked up my pace, moving into a light jog as I followed my cabin mate into an area I hadn’t been yet. It was opposite the Mess Hall, moving further down the rows of cabins.

                In the very distance, I could make out more of the stalks of plants we had been working on chopping down earlier today.

                The mystery person zigzagged around the cabins, creating a nearly impossible trail to follow. I found myself increasing my speed as we progressed. My legs ached from running. I hadn’t run in what felt like forever.