Chapter 10

*IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END*

"What's wrong?" I ask, rushing over to the couch.

Dad let's out another rasping sob. "I... I just made a life changing decision."

"Okay... Are you going to tell me what it is?" I ask, rubbing his shoulders. This is too much like when mum told me she had cancer. Dad and I are both sat on the couch, and I comfort him as he spills the freaking Atlantic Ocean from his eyes.

Dad sobs once again, hunching over. "I... Rider... I can't tell you."

"Are you ever going to?" I ask.

Dad sighs. "I'll show you sometime soon."

I nod, not wanting to press any further. We plunge into an extremely awkward silence.

"So, how's your mum?" Dad asks, trying to make conversation.

"YA MUM!" I can't contain myself. "Sorry..." I laugh. Wait, does dad know about mums cancer?

"So, she's happy? Nothing wrong?" Dad asks, a pleading look to his eyes.

"Umm... Would now be a good time to tell you that mums cancer is back?" I ask, fearing dad's reaction.

At first he doesn't react. He just sits there like I told him it was raining. Then, his eyes widen in shock as he turns to me.

"What do you mean, the cancers back?" Dad yells. "I thought it was gone for good!"

I sigh. "Apparently so did the doctors."

Dad begins to let tears silently roll down his cheeks. "I love her."

My eyes light up. "You do?!? You should totally get back together!" I squeal, my matchmaking side coming out.

Dad begins to sob again. What is it that could possibly be making him act this way?

"I don't love her in that way anymore, though. I used to, but when she got cancer, I..." He pauses. "She wasn't the woman I knew and loved. Cancer changed her in ways I never imagined possible, and I..." He sobs. "I wanted the old her back."

I sigh. "Dad, mum is still her. Mum will always be mum, and going on the fact that she has a mini shrine for you in her bedroom, mum will always love you. You guys need to get back together!" I try to convince dad to at least try. It's been a long time since I've had a proper family, and I miss it too much, even though I can't even remember when I did. But still, I miss it.

Dad sighs. "Can you tell mum I'm trying to organise a meeting with her next Tuesday?"

I squeal, getting excited. "Definitely!"

"Come along, and could you maybe bring Freya along also?" Dad asks. I say yes, although I'm not sure why he'd want Freya there. I'm too excited to care, though.

My parents are getting back together.

Dad shoos me out of the room, telling me that he has 'stuff' to get done.

I run up the stairs, and into my bedroom. I decide to call Freya now, so that I can ask her if she's available next Tuesday and also to organise something for the present day.

"WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT?!?" Freya screams down the phone as soon as she picks up. Luckily I remembered the one metre from the ear rule, so my eardrums are safe to live another day.

"Are you busy?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Come over."

"I can't." States Freya. "I'm busy."

Wow, this doesn't happen very often. "What is it?"

"Ya mum." Says Freya. "Actually, that was a really big hint!"

"What do you mean?" I ask. "Wait, is it the 'mystery boyfriend'?"

"My lips are sealed. Well, I open them for mystery man..."

I laugh. "You're still not going to tell me who it is, are you?"

"Nope."

"Okay then, bye!" I hang up, growing the phone down on my bed. Why is mystery man kept a secret?

"RIDER! DINNER!" My dad calls from downstairs. I shoot down to him, immediately smelling the sweet smell of THE BEST spaghetti in THE WORLD!

"No way, you made your spaghetti!"

Dad rolls his eyes. "No, it's chicken noodle soup. Eat up." Dad says, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

I laugh, taking a seat across from dad.

The whole time I stuff food into my mouth and moan, dad just kind of fiddles with his fork, looking sad and distant.

I grab a forkful of spaghetti and fling it at him, hitting him square in the face. Dad looks up at me, smirking. "Challenge accepted."

***

I pull the last bit of spaghetti from my hair, and step out of the shower. How that escalated into a food fight, I will never know.

Haha, I'm so funny.

After our food war, dad went straight to bed without even changing his clothes. I, however, took a shower and am now dressed and climbing into bed.

I read for about half an hour, then switch my light off. I can't sleep though. Out of everything that's going on in my life, there's only one thing that I can't stop thinking about.

Dale.

===

IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE!

I have posted a story (that my friend gave to me) called Scammed Love. Give it a read?

Kthanksbye