Chapter 21

I take my head out of my hands, looking up to the pale roof of the hospital. I hate how bright they try to make these places. It's almost blinding, and at the completely wrong time as well.

Earlier some doctors had tried to ask me if I wanted anything. I'm fairly sure people also asked me to leave, but I wasn't listening to anyone. I blocked out all the people trying to talk to me, only listening to the sound my head made when I clenched my fists. It was as though there was lots of water in my head, and when I clenched my fists, all the water cleared up. If I relaxed my hands again though, all the water would come rushing back.

The lights sting my eyes and worsen my headache, so I bring my knees up to my chest and press my face into them.

11 months. 11 months. Not dead. Not dead.

No matter how many times I chant those words over in my head, they still don't seem believable to me. Normally I can convince myself of anything - I always manage to convince myself that there is a monster in the dark corner of my room. But when it comes to these things, no matter how hard I try, I can feel when there's something horribly wrong.

I look up at the wall across from me, a silent tear rolling down my cheek. I try to will myself to not cry, but I can't stop the tears from slowly carving their way down my face.

I look over at the people walking past the doors of the section I'm in. Some people look sad like me, but there are others who somehow seem to be or act happy in this hell hole.

A man slowly drags himself past. I spark of recognition lights up in my brain. He looks up, noticing me and seeming to remember me too.

"Ah, Ms Lucky." He says in his thick Scottish accent, although he's less cheerful this time. The man from the pet shop walks over, taking the seat next to me and putting Lucky on his lap. "You must be pretty sad to have distracted yourself from noticing a puppy trying to make you feel better. What brings a healthy young gal like you here?"

I sniffle. "It's, nothing..." I force myself to smile. "What are you doing here?"

He shakes his head. "You don't have to pretend to smile, I can see right through you. It's better to be truthful then to bottle up your emotions."

I loose the smile, looking down at the ground and sniffling. "What were you doing here anyway. Aren't you still working at the shop?"

The man looses his smile also, rubbing his eyes. "I shouldn't be, but I'm here." He takes in a deep breath. "You know, sometimes the things you love, you loose. Often it's for the better but sometimes no one knows why. Just trust in the fact that everything happens for a reason, and that its always darkest before the dawn."

I look up at him with wide eyes. "What happened?" I ask him.

He sighs. "My daughter... She's been battling against cancer for a long time. It was about time that she gave in." His voice cracks and a tear rolls down his face. He hurriedly wipes it away. "Do, why are you here?" He sniffles.

"My mum..." I begin, but I'm unable to continue. The man nods his head in understanding.

Together we sit there, drowning in our own tears and being consumed by our grief.

===

Gotta get up for school now :( I thought I'd update though even though it's a short chapter.

Plot twist: the pet shop guy is a werewolf and they end up together!

Okay maybe not...