Part One: Chapter Nine: Just A Kiss

A/N: I am really trying my best to send a message with my writing and JUST JACK is my latest effort with the message being associated with Anorexia. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, take the time to click that VOTE button and even if you don't read on, voting for the other chapters will help spread the message of this book. Thank you. 

Chapter Nine

Just A Kiss

     It's never just a kiss. Two lips colliding, two souls meeting. A kiss is a person's autograph of love- his signature. A simple kiss is a way of bringing two damaged people, so close together that they can't see anything wrong with each other. The sweetest and most eloquent silence is that of two mouths coming together in a kiss for it seals two souls for a moment in time. Kiss me and you will discover my importance. And yet, the questions still linger, always. Is she worth a kiss? Are you worthy of hers?

     We drive steadily through the town. My window is rolled down and I rest my arm on the door. A warm breeze flows through the window and rustles my hair. A feeling of nervousness rumbles in my stomach like a growling engine. Roaring. It's my first day in school in over two months.

     I cannot help but recall the drive to school after summer vacation had ended. It was like this one, maybe a little worse. Yet, in so many ways it's different. I'm not that boy anymore. Yes, I'm still grieving over the loss of my friend and even my father, but I don't feel the pain that I felt back then. Even as mom, who sits next to me in her pajamas and slippers, drives by the coast, I don't sigh thinking of Chris. I inhale a breath of salty air and smile.

     Mom even seems different, changed. She's not wearing her work clothes for starters. She's not sipping on a coffee and rambling about dad and his upcoming anniversary. She sings along to a catchy song that plays on the radio. Whatever's happened to her, I like it. Reminds me of the old days. She looks at me and smiles, still singing along to the song. I smile back and then look out the window.

     “How are you feeling?” She asks, turning the down the radio so all I can hear is a faint murmur of the presenter talking. She keeps her head straight, eyes dead on the road. I take a moment to register the question. She hadn't got a serious tone of voice on, maybe she is wondering if I am nervous. Nothing about food or Chris or dad.

     “Anxious,” I reply, nervously laughing after I speak. She nods her head and turns a corner. In the distance you can see my school. I brace myself just a little more as we edge closer to it, tightening my grip on the edges of my seat.

     “You know, I haven't said it yet but, it's good to have you back, Jack,” She says, looking at me. I smile I resist the urge to cry. No. I can't cry. Even though for the first time in so long my mother has made some sort of connection with me. I started my last day of school with tears, I won't let that happen again. She knows I am grateful for what she has said. My eyes fill with water but I hold the tears back.

     Mom pulls up outside the school. I almost feel a little embarrassed that she is still in her night clothes but that was the mom I always used to know, the mom I loved. She pats the steering wheel and few times and makes a bopping noise with her mouth, waiting for me to jump out. I stall for a moment, thinking. The school looks so daunting as a flood of teenagers spill through the doors. Some loiter on the steps, others are sitting on the grass enjoying the sunshine.