Chapter 9: Savior

Logan
The crunch of gravel under our feet echos in the cool morning air. I risk a quick glance at Anamíon, who seems very tense for just a walk to the stables.

A smile spreads across my face as I hear a whinny from Fiona. My stride lengthens as I reach her stall. "Hey girl, how are you?" The happy neigh that follows seems to answer the question.

"The storm has settled, it should be safe to leave." I turn back towards Anamíon, who keeps a safe distance from the white filly.

I hadn't realized until now that the storm had officially stopped. I can go home now. To my family. A part of me doesn't want to leave, for some unknown reason. Instead of voicing my hesitation, I smile and nod in agreement. 

Anamíon glances at the filly and then back at me. "Your tack is on the stall door. You should leave as soon as possible."

Trying to contain my hurt are flippant behavior, I nod slowly and retrieve the tack. Fiona seems to sense that we're leaving because she immediately paws the ground. My fingers fumble as I tighten the girth and finish saddling the antsy horse. I avoid looking at Anamíon and instead mount up. I'm just about to exit the stables when a hand comes up and rests on the saddle. Surprisingly the filly doesn't spook.

"I just want your folks to know that you are safe. It would not be very good if they sent a search party for you." Anamíon says with a slight tilt to her lips.

"Thank you for saving me, Anamíon. Really. I wouldn't be here without you."

The mysterious woman gives me a dismissive wave of her hand. "It was nothing you would not have done."

I nod slowly, glancing at her and then towards the beach and then back at her. With a deep breath, I urge the filly forward, only to stop. This time I'm the one to halt the now confused horse.

"Will I ever see you again?" I ask, looking deep into my savior's eyes.

With that trademark smirk of hers, she answers, "Perhaps," before heading back towards her cottage. A small smile forms on my lips as I head home, the image of a certain woman floating in my train of thought.

***

"Logan! Where in the bloody hell have you been!" Mama screeches, racing towards me and enveloping me in an embrace.

Katherine soon follows, and in nearly a second I'm cocooned by the entire MacGregor family.

"I'm glad - you - ergh - missed me, but can you all - get - get - ... GET OFF!" I yell out, squirming in their tight grip. Immediately they release me, my chest heaving as I try to take in air. Finally catching my breath, I glare at them, only for Mama to return the heated expression.

"Where've ya been? We've been worried sick! We didn't know where'd ya gone or when ya'd be back! Had us all outta sorts!" Mama narrows her eyes, standing ramrod straight and preparing for a lecture.

"I'm so sorry, all of you. I didn't mean to - I swear! Fiona spooked because of the storm and I had to find her. She ended up leading me inland. I got lost and had to stay with some folk in town."

One thing about this small town, is that everyone knows everyone since they were wee kids. Which I guess is good, 'cause it means no one can have any terrible secrets.

"Well we must thank them! Who was it? The Dunkans? The Karlstons? Oh! The Kiles?"

"No it was," I begin, but instantly halt. Who should I say took care of me for a week? Mama will do everything she can to thank them.