Chapter 8: Dream Catcher

Logan
The black mare paws the grass, her mane flowing elegantly in the wind. I walk towards the beautiful creature, my eyes taking in its familiar form. My fingers graze over the cool leather that is clenched in my fist. I glance down at my hand, my thumb running over the metal label over a bridle. It takes barely a second for me to realize that the metal is my talisman. The desire to touch the ebony horse overpowers my mind.

My hand caresses the the mare's muzzle and jaw. I smile at the feel of hot air hitting my arm, her warm breath. She nudges me with her head, rubbing against me gently. My other hand rests against her neck as I walk closer, now barely an inch away. Slowly I lean forward, my forehead resting against hers. I close my eyes and focus on the feel of our faces resting against each other. 

A voice breaks the silence, causing my eyes to flash open. I find myself staring into the mare's own sea blue-green eyes.

"So beautiful, mortal girl. So beautiful. Come with me, to the sea. You can be with me." Anamíon's voice calls to me, full of desire.

I shiver at the tone of her voice, not in fear - but from something else entirely. I nod slowly, feeling as though I'm not in my body. My feet take me to the side of the horse, of Anamíon, my hands now resting on her back and withers. Swiftly, I mount up and immediately tense up. She doesn't hesitate as she launches into a gallop. I grip her black mane tightly and lean forward, clutching at it like a lifeline.

The ocean sprays my legs as she rips into the waves. I panic as she goes further and further into the ocean. What was I thinking? I can't swim! My eyes widen and I will myself to scream, but nothing comes out. Instead I am met with the ocean as the mare dives into the sea. Instantly my vision goes black, forcing me to leave my subconscious.

"Logan! Logan, wake up!" I groan at the yell, feeling hands shake my shoulders violently. I leap up from bed, my eyes scanning wildly around the room. Anamíon searches my unfocused eyes, her hands still resting on my shoulders. It takes me a moment to remember where I am and that I just went through another nightmare.

"Wha-t... what happened...?" My throat is dry, forcing me to have to clear it multiple times. Anamíon hands me a glass of water and I gratefully accept it.

"I.. heard you screaming. When I realized you were still sleeping, I thought it best to wake you up. It is not yet morning." She gives me a blank look, and I wince as I realize that I must have woken her up.

"Oh... I'm sorry. Thanks for waking me." I blush a dark red, hoping the darkness will cover my embarrassment. 

Anamíon nods with the same expression still on her face. Slowly she gets off my bed, as she had been sitting on the side, and heads towards the door.

"Wait!" My yell stops her, and I blink surprise. Slowly she turns around, watching me with a weary look. 

"Would you mind... staying in here ... with me?" I wince at the pathetic tone in my voice and my completely stupid question. "It's just that... usually my nightmares come back several times a night and I just... I really don't want to be alone right now..."

Anamíon remains quiet for a long time, increasing my doubt. Why would you ask that, idiot? Of course she's not going to stay! You're not a little kid, she's going to think you're a wuss... 

"I ... suppose I could." She hesitantly returns to my side, obviously unsure as to where she should go. I glance around to find no chairs that she can sit in. With my blush reddening by the second, I scoot to the other side of the bed, allowing her to lay down on the opposite side. Anamíon is reluctant, but eventually lies down. I turn my body so I'm not facing her, trying to ignore the feelings fluttering throughout my chest.