Chapter 13: A Lesson

Logan
Silence.

Nothing but terrifying, deceiving, and malicious silence.

For the gods' sakes, why can't I keep my mouth shut? I've never been this impulsive before.

Self-deprecating thoughts rattle inside my mind, taking me from the bookstore and into the dark room of my subconscious.

What are you doing here, with Ana? The educated and beautiful and well-spoken and worldly and strong and brave woman who saved you. Who saw you not as a MacGregor or daughter or woman or girl or peasant, but as Logan.

Intelligence is important for survival, but education isn't. At least, that's what I was raised to believe. How most of the people here were raised. Only those with wealth can afford the luxury of extensive knowledge over things that don't impact everyday life.

I have always doubted that attitude. I strode for a deeper understanding of life ever since I could talk. 

But I failed. Not only myself, but An as well. After all, what could a warrior - of both mind and body - possibly want with an illiterate farm girl?

This could be the last time I see her.

No.

We share something. Anamíon and I, we have a connection. I know we do.

I... think we do.

Warmth. On my hands. And arms. And face. 

Where am I?

"Logan? Logan, are you with me?"

No... not yet.

I open my eyes. When did I close them?

"Ana...?" I mutter, disoriented and tired.

"Thank the gods. Where were you?" The deep, harmonious voice asks, concern lacing her tone. 

"I - don't know." I blink several times before shaking my head. 

Finally, everything comes into focus. Anamíon stands in front of me, one hand resting against my cheek and the other encircling my hand. I stare at our entwined fingers, for some reason finding it amusing that her's completely cover mine, easily.

Ana still looks nervous, and worried. "I think you... should let go of the book, Logan. And sit down."

I look down at my hand, the one not occupied with An's. My knuckles are white, fingernails digging into the leather cover of the journal I picked up.

"I'm - I'm fine." I state, swallowing deeply and giving the dark-haired woman the best smile I can muster.

"Are you... certain?"

I roll my eyes playfully, despite my own doubt, and nod.

The tall woman raises an eyebrow, but accepts my answer. She gently takes the book from my hands and walks over to the man behind the counter. They talk softly, too softly for me to hear. I tilt my head in curiosity. 

My eyes widen when they trade - yemon for the book.

Anamíon walks back to me, smiling slightly, "Our goal will be for you to be able to finish this after the next full moon."

I gape at her, blinking in disbelief: "Our... goal?"

Ana walks towards the entrance of the shop, opening the door, and gesturing for me to go first. I do so, slowly, still dumbfounded. 

"Would you like to start now? I believe your father said you are done for the day."

I shake my head in confusion, "hold on. I'm lost. What are you talking about?"