Chapter 16: Windows to the Soul

Anamíon
"...I have your tea here, Logan."

No response.

This is going to be interesting.

I clear my throat and slowly enter the room.

"Are you-" I stop and frown, taking in Logan's slumped form sitting on the bed. Her flowing locks are a wall between her and I.

I do not know how I sensed her anguish, but it seems that feeling was correct.

Slowly, I place the hot mug on one of the nightstands. I walk around the bed, moving so that I may face Logan. Still, she ignores my presence.

I sigh, reluctantly kneeling in front of her. Normally, I bristle at the thought of lowering myself before anyone, but that feeling is absent, for now. Hesitantly, I stretch my hand outwards to hold her own, grateful that she does not pull away from the contact. She looks up.

Her grey eyes meet my blue ones - hers filled with confusion and sadness. I feel my heart tug at the sight. What could Loki have possibly said to hurt my Logan?

My Logan?

No-

"What is a ... Ree-oh-gah?" Logan asks, staring straight into my soul.

By the Moon, what did Loki tell her?

"It is Ríoga." I blink at her for a moment, before coming to my senses. "Where did you hear that word?"

Logan bites her lip, looking away from me and pulling her hand out of my grip. "I overheard you and Loki..."

I narrow my eyes in confusion, "When?"

The girl shrugs, "When I was sick. I barely heard you two. I fell asleep right after."

Immediately, I tense. What else did she hear?

She must sense my unease. "Is it... something bad?"

I raise an eyebrow at her, curious, "Why would you think that?"

The girl shrugs, "I don't know."

"Is that the answer you tell yourself or truly believe?"

Logan averts her eyes.

I already know her response and yet ... I wait.

For a moment - I believe she will answer - but instead, she gets up and moves to the window. She stares through the glass, refusing to acknowledge me. A shudder runs through my chest. For an unknown reason, my heart beats faster and my skins feels clammy.

I wonder if this is similar to a human emotion.

Perhaps I am just imagining such things. After all, I am a Kelpie. I am the Ríoga. I do not feel. At least, not in the mortal sense.

"You didn't answer the question." The short mortal states, but remains unmoved.

"A Ríoga is a... person of high status. They are practically royalty and lead nations." I take a breath, "The title originates from my mother's homeland."

"So like a king or queen? Or more like a knight?"

"The Ríoga does have similar qualities to both; however, they are elected and advised by a council. They go through several trials to prove their worth. They are expected to be a warrior, intellectual, and leader. Ríogas put their people first, before all else."

"That sounds... really nice. I wish our lands would follow." Logan comments, placing her palm against the glass absentmindedly.

"Following has never led to anything good with humans."