Chapter 18: The Game

Warning: This chapter gets a little violent and gruesome at the end. If that is not your thing, I would skip it. Now, without a further ado, enjoy the update!

Logan
A scream.

The sound shreds through the once silent night.

The sheer vexation within the shriek is almost inhuman, and could surely only be the product of a beast. The roar is followed by footsteps, muffled shouts, and worried whispers, all anxious to find the source of the cry.

When light abruptly pours into my own room, I know this is no dream... no nightmare of mine. The pale face of my mother pokes through the small opening between the door and the threshold. "Logan, get downstairs, now." Mother pauses, before adding, "Put on a robe first," as an afterthought.

My voice, shaky from sleep, reaches out towards her, "What's happened?"

She hesitates, her body lacking its typically healthy flush. "Just... get downstairs. Hurry."

Without another word, my mother is gone, leaving me to my thoughts. Scampering to fulfill her wishes, I ignore the state of my bed and my sleepwear, barely taking the time to pull my hair into a messy bun and shoving my bare feet into my father's old moccasins. I stumble down the stairs, ignoring my sister's door, left ajar in her own rush to see the ruckus.

Fighting the chill that suddenly consumes me, I shuffle outside, following the flickering light that several makeshift torches produce. Immediately, I spot Papa. Trembling in both fear and the cold, I make my way over to him. He seems frozen, jaw and eyes hard set in front of him, unmoving. I find my shaky hand moving towards him, finally resting against his bicep. He flinches, but remains steady in his gaze. "Papa... what's happened?" My voice, like the rest of me, shakes under the weight of this tremulous night.

"Don't... don't go over there, Logan." Pa whispers, still staring straight ahead.

"What... why? What's happened?" I repeat, fearing the worst.

He finally looks towards me, skin as pale as the moon that shines above. "It's... it's another girl. Katherine found her right outside the barn."

"Another... another girl?"

Papa shakes his head, the haunted look in his eyes aging him decades. "Yes... Ripped apart. She's soaking wet... and... and there's salt absorbed in her clothing. She must have been in the ocean when she was killed."

Before I can speak, I hear another wail, although this one is more of mourning than fear. I turn towards the sound, my heartbreaking as I watch Katherine, my older sister, collapsing against my mother. Her cheeks glisten in the firelight, drawing my gaze to her eyes, red with tears and terror.

"It's Helen. It's... it's Helen." Kat sobs out, clutching my mother's dress as if that will revive her childhood friend.

"Ma - get Katherine inside." I advise; watching - surprised - as she does as I ask. Katherine allows our mother to lead her back into the safety and warmth of our home. I turn backwards, returning to my father's side. Still shaken, it takes him a moment to regain his bearings.

"Pa, are you okay? If you want to go back inside... I can help these men-"

"No." He shakes his head, resolute. "No, I should be the one telling you the same. No lady should have to bear witness to... to the horrors that girl must have went through."

I sigh, "Papa - I'm no ordinary lady. And I know you were close to Helen's father. At least... let me ride into town and get the tithingman. I'll make sure he brings a wagon... for Helen."