Chapter 4: Encounter

Logan
Sweat beads on my forehead as the beating sun dries my skin. My lips are chapped and cracked and my shirt is soaked in sweat. Each time I wipe the liquid from my face and arms, more replaces it. The salty mixture drenches my hair and has plastered some strands to my face. A tired sigh escapes my lips as I lean against the fence. The white filly Papa had previously worked on is now learning how to jump on command. Like me, the filly is covered in foamy sweat.

Aidan had gone into the house a while ago. It is one of the hottest days of the year here. It rarely gets hot thanks to the sea's breeze. But today it seems as though the ocean is not going to offer much relief. I had eventually convinced Papa that I could work the horses on my own today. Pa is getting a little too old to work the horses in good weather, let alone overly hot and humid.

Even though I know it's the right thing to do, I'm regretting it. I feel like I'm melting and my clothing is the pot that I'm being cooked in.  What I would give for some cool ice cubes from the ice box! Deciding it won't help anyone by feeling sorry for myself, I continue to work. My muscles strain and my body screams in exhaustion. It's been hours and I'm still only halfway through my work.

This morning the vet came over to check on Abi's newborn colt. The vet declared the cherry bay healthy and happy. It's a relief to everyone that he's in perfect shape. After some intense pleading and several promises, I'm now in charge of the colt's training. Aidan is disappointed that he won't be in my position. Though I did promise that he could pitch in whenever he's not too busy.

Surprisingly, Ma seems okay with the fact that I will be taking care of the colt. I'm trying not to keep my hopes up. She's not actually accepting the fact that I will never be her dream daughter, is she? I shake the thought away when I recognize the feeling of being watched. My eyes drift upwards and over my shoulder. I gaze over the stone wall that guards our property and towards the open fields.

My heart stops at the sight of a familiar black mare. The filly I have been working with now whinnies in unease, obviously fearful of the mysterious horse. I manage to get the filly back in its stall after she rears a few times. The black mare continues to stare right back at me, her head tilted slightly to the side. I try to take in more details of the beautiful creature, but it's difficult considering the distance. I feel trapped inside its gaze of ocean blue and green. I can't help but move forward, and to my surprise, the ebony mare remains still. Soon I'm steadily advancing until the stone wall is the only barrier between us.

I focus on the mare's silky coat and muscular neck. Before I even know what I'm doing, my hand is reaching up to cup the mare's jaw. A tingle runs through the palm of my hand and warms my center. My eyes widen and a small gasp escapes my lips.

Those unnervingly human eyes seem to widen in surprise, as if the animal felt the same buzz. My own head tilts in curiosity, mirroring the mare. Silence settles as I stare, my hand still resting against her cheek. Slowly my hand travels down her sleek neck and back up towards her muzzle. A smile spreads across my face as the mare's nostrils flare. She's smelling me, committing my scent to memory. Her ears flicker forward and I take this as a good sign. Soon enough the mare is nudging my hand gently with her nose. A giggle escapes my mouth which seems to cause the black mare to suddenly freeze. I frown as the beautiful animal removes her head from my gentle grasp.

I turn my head to my house when someone yells my name. Apparently I have done enough work and Pa wants me to come inside. I voice my agreement before turning back to the mare, only to find empty space where the mysterious horse once was.

"Where did you go?" I whisper, scanning the property once again. I don't have time to look as I'm reminded once again to come inside. With a sigh, I relent and head back home. I can't get the image of that beautiful mare and her mysterious eyes out of my head.

Anamíon
I watch Logan as she trains the white horse, her face glistening with exertion. This heat has very little affect on me thanks to my recent departure from the sea. 

Somehow I ended up here, as if something else lead me to her. I still do not fully understand how this mortal girl fascinates me so. Could it be her innocence? Her calm? Her clarity?

No matter the reason, this is dangerous. These feelings are beginning to manifest into something more as I continue to watch. I know this can lead to chaos. Despite that, I am not scared. Instead I find that it fuels my intrigue. I am completely caught off guard when the brown haired beauty notices my presence.

My first instinct is to attack, lure her into the waters and kill her before she can even know what happened. But something stops me. Is it the look of wonder in her eyes? Awe? Either way it seems to make the decision for me: I will not harm her - at least not right now anyway. Instead I watch with slight unease as she advances towards me. The white filly has already been put away. I am proud to know that I can still frighten those pathetic land horses.

As Logan advances, I take the time to truly examine her. Though she seems to be at a young adult stage, her features carry a childlike grace. Her eyes hold the curiosity of many and her movements show her unstable confidence. If I was in human form, you would be able to see a small smile spread across my features. Instead I hold in the urge to morph and watch as she stops behind the stone wall.

Though she says nothing, I can see through her eyes that she has many questions. My eyes follow her delicate hand as it settles along my cheekbone. The tingle that spreads through me causes my body to tense. It does not take a mastermind to know that Logan felt a similar shock. Knowing this cannot be a coincidence, I get ready to bolt, only for her hand to travel down towards my neck.

Her soothing strokes stop my train of thought and ease my once tense muscles. How can such a fragile girl affect me this way?

As her hands travel towards my muzzle, I cannot help but wish for her to envelope me in her arms. Ignoring the voices advising against this, I nuzzle her hand gently. She giggles at my action, and this adorable sound makes me freeze. Almost immediately I depart from her soothing hand. Her frown makes my chest hurt and I panic, unused to such a feeling.

Relief settles around me as Logan is called from her house. I take this as a perfect opportunity to leave. As I enter the ocean's waves, I turn to see Logan's back, heading towards her home. My eyes follow her small figure as she enters and disappears from my view.