Chapter 10: Butterfly

Anamíon
I pace in the seemingly endless stone room, my hooves striking the cobble floor. The underwater cave magnifies the soothing sounds of the sea. The room holds at least several hundred Kelpies, each a leader to one tréad.

Loki enters the expansive meeting place, eyes set on myself and then straying to those around me. Although we are all in our natural forms, I wish to be in my human body. This thought startles me, but instead of dwelling on it, I address the mass of Kelpies awaiting my word.

"Quiet down, we are here to address a pressing matter; not to socialize." My stern statement echoes in the cave-like room, silencing all who had previously conversed.

"It has come to our attention that the human race is threatening our homes and needs with their polluting nature." A hum of agreement resonates throughout the crowded cave.

Loki glances at me, obviously recalling my hesitance to this plan the day before. I ignore his knowing look and instead focus on the tréad leaders. After a moment, I continue with a stoic expression: "We must take action, as I am sure you can all agree with. The matter we must discuss is what we plan on doing about this problem. The humans are no match for us, however, we need to keep our potential losses in mind. These mortals will refuse to go down without a fight."

One of the damn Comhairle members speaks out with confidence, "We have a way to resolve this, Ríoga."

I sigh at the formal title, knowing that it carries no weight in the eyes of this pathetic Comhairle. "Do tell, Alec, what is this plan?"

"We initiate the Cleanse." At the shocked gasps that echo among the masses, Alec continues with a smirk, "Humans have held power for far too long. They have destroyed their own homes and now go further and further into the sea, threatening to destroy our own. The two legged monstrosities must perish, before they strike against us. The Comhairle has already agreed to begin planning for the rise of our glorious species. Join us so that we may win this war."

The roars of the Kelpie shake the very walls of the cave, hooves stomping against the rocks and teeth bared viciously. I roll my sea blue-green eyes, of course the Comhairle had to stick their muzzles in this. Those nags think they can undermine my authority. Ignorant fools.

"Enough!" My own roar easily trumps the hundreds of Kelpies, forcing them all to listen without a thought. "I will not have this kind of disorder among my brethren! Behave like the honorable Kelpies you are!" Each one of them bows their head in respect and shame, kneeling on their front legs in salute. I release a satisfied breath before glancing at the Comhairle with a glare. Immediately they back down; except for Alec, who still smirks in arrogance.

"Now that we are all settled, I would like to address this issue in a more ... civilized way. We will vote on this issue, as it affects us all. After all, our species has been hiding. We cannot afford to do this without the proper planning. I do not need to remind you what could happen if we lose our advantage. Let this be a warning: any Kelpie who disobeys my command will be put to death," I pause, "...on land."

The gasp that Alec elicited is nothing like the one I receive. Almost every Kelpie in the room looks at me with wide eyes. Most of the Comhairle members nod in respect, obviously shocked by my show of force. Even Loki looks surprised, although he immediately bows his head in respect. The entire room is quiet.

"Each Ceannasaí will meet with me to discuss their stance on the Cleanse. Those Ceannasaí will then speak to the ones under their command, once the voting is complete. When the decision is settled, we shall meet again for the next step. Dismissed."

My nostrils flare, hooves stomping on the ground in tandem with the others as our traditional war cry of sorts. With a bow, the Kelpies disperse, following my orders without question.