Chapter 3: Talisman

Logan
I wake up to the sound of worried whispers coming from downstairs. It's starting to become a continuous thing of waking up to drama. This is definitely something unusual for our small town. My curiosity rises as I hear an additional voice added to the mix. It sounds like Mama, Papa, and Kat. Frustratingly enough, I can't hear what they're saying.

My feet carry me downstairs until I meet the three in the kitchen. Kat notices me first, "Did you hear what happened?"

Both Mama and Papa turn towards me at that. When I shake my head no, Kat sighs and glances at our parents then back at me. "Another two girls went missing this week. They were found in the same condition and location as the other one."

My eyebrows rise in alarm, my eyes flickering between Ma and Pa. Could it be true? Was my sister and I in danger? Could it really be the Kelpie, or something else?

Mama seems to notice my expression because her frown deepens. "You don't honestly believe in that Kelpie myth do ya, Logan? Yer too old fer that."

Papa rolls his eyes, "We've got too much ta worry about 'ere. Ready to help me outside, Lo?"

I nod enthusiastically, more than happy to get these terrible thoughts out of my head. Kat sighs, "Papa, she should be helping Mama and I bake. Not with you, working in the fields like some man."

A muffled snort comes from Aidan, who seems to have just woken. Kat ignores this and instead begins a conversation with Ma. I sigh and follow Papa and Aidan outside. It's a wonder how we survived breakfast without a fight.

Papa rests a reassuring arm around my shoulders. Aidan runs in front of us, already heading towards the stables. Even though Papa's gesture is supposed to be soothing, it feeds the guilty feeling in my stomach. Am I letting down my family by not finding a future-husband? I shiver at the words that sound so much like Ma's.

Pa doesn't seem to notice my unease as he continues to head towards the horses and their stalls. I bite my lip to prevent the word vomit that is sure to venture out of my mouth. It's a dream come true to have the horses as distractions. I say nothing as Aidan continues to rant about his progression in school.

I had to leave school at an early age, as Papa needed someone to help with the horses. Obviously Kat was unwilling to do the work so I was next in line. Though I am proud to help my father, I do wish I had learned how to read. While my younger brother can write fairly easily, I can barely write out the alphabet. Mama could care less about my illiteracy, she just wants a daughter who can take care of children and the meals. It angers me to realize just how much I used to vie for my mother's attention. Eventually this goal ceased to exist, along with all the other stupid and naive childhood fantasies I had.

After a few hours of tireless working, Papa allows us to stop. Aidan lets out a relieved breath and immediately heads to the house. I'm about to follow when a shout stops me. Papa and I turn to see the only stable hand, Damon, running towards us. "Kenneth, Logan, come quick! Abi is in labor!"

We exchange a glance before sprinting towards the pregnant mare's stall. She had already been moved to a larger area, one proper for the birthing of a healthy foal. I peer over the stall door to see the chestnut mare laying on the straw covered floor. Her stomach rises up and down erratically, her nostrils flaring wildly.

Slowly, I enter the stall and kneel down in front of the mare. Papa soon follows with a warm bucket of water, some cloths, scissors, and some other necessary supplies. Gently I place Abi's large head onto my lap. My hands caress her sweaty mane and damp neck. Her muscles jump and flex, legs thrashing slightly. I mutter soothing words, trying to calm down the horse. After a minute or so, the mare ceases fighting and seems to focus more on pushing the foal out.