Chapter 20 - the Fate of the World

Chapter 20 – the Fate of the World

Tuesday, May 23, 2023
John Hancock Tower, Chicago, IL
19:00

Crouched and camouflaged, Tango Carlson finally entered the skyscraper. The atmosphere was quiet and death still, nothing but a seemingly ghostly ambience. However, as usual, Lucas knew they weren't in safe hands. His team looked at one another, and at him. They agreed with him, when he signaled them that is wasn't safe.

"This is it everyone, no turning back now!" said Lucas. "We only move forward towards our objective and we'll have only one shot at this. Normally, we work in unison, but this time we all need to split and take different routes to traverse to the top."

"Agreed!" said Auburn. "We need to avoid raising suspicions."

"Auburn, you take the South Wing staircase to the top." Lucas ordered. "Meadows and Hunter, take East and West, respectively! I'm going North!"

"Hoo-ah!" said everyone.

Meanwhile, back at base, Spade's smartphone began to ring, she took out her Samsung Galaxy™ Note 13. And she saw the caller ID. It was Angela, requesting to video call her on WhatsApp™. Spade looked in concern, as she received the call.

"Angela?" said Spade.

"Stefani! Long time, no see, honey!" said Angela. "Is Brian okay?"

"More than you know, he's inside the skyscraper as we speak! But are you okay?"

"Yes, but I wanted to talk to my husband, and I know he's in the middle of saving the world. However, please tell him, Angela needs him, more than ever!"

"Don't worry, I'll let him know, because the major will no longer be major after all this!"

"Excuse me? He's not quitting, is he?"

"No, he's not! But he's now lieutenant colonel!"

"Are you serious? He was recently promoted to major, just a few months ago!"

"And I hold that title now! Because, he's gonna be saving the world! After all, this is far above our pay grades. He promised himself just now, to stay on until he, at least becomes a brigadier general."

"I'm happy for him! Why didn't he tell me this?"

"He needed me to tell you, in case he doesn't make it out alive. And he didn't know it until before he entered the tower."

"I want him to be okay! I need him! We need him!"

"Angela, don't cry! I promise you; he'll be okay!"

"I know! I just fear his safety."

"I'll make sure he's safe. S.A.R.A. and I will make sure."

"Thank you, Stefani! You're an angel!"

"So are you, Angela! An angel followed by an 'A'!"

The call hung up, and Spade spoke to Shovel and Nebula.

"Sir, we can't do this without an upgrade to S.A.R.A.! Trust me!" said Spade.

"What's the deal?" said Shovel.

"We need to help Lucas, and make sure he makes it out alive." Spade explained. "Angela needs her husband. I know this is his personal stuff, but we need to make sure he's okay."