Chapter 10 - Arriving At the Base

Chapter 10 – Arriving At the Base

Friday, May 19, 2023
8:41 PM
Austin, TX
Fischer Residence

It was quite a fun summer already for Lance and Peyton. The two of them were having tons of fun. Angela made milkshakes for the two kids. However, she came to notice that Peyton was perturbed. She then put the milkshakes in a tray.

"Are you okay, honey?" said Angela, as she saw Peyton shedding a tear. "What is it?"

"Is Daddy okay?" said Peyton.

"Yes, honey! He will be back in a few weeks, after completing his mission."

"Why does he go every few months, Mommy?"

"Honey, Daddy goes to protect our country from bad people."

"Daddy's a hero!"

"Yes, but he's our superhero. I just hope he stays in his job and not leave so soon."

"Yeah!"

Then Angela went to check on the dinner. She took out her smartphone and sent a text to Brian.

Angela: Hope you are safe, love. We need you, now and more than ever! ❤️😞

Brian: You alright? ❤️😘

Angela: Of course, baby! 😞 😞 But we miss you. Peyton was crying earlier.

Brian: *sigh* 😞 I don't blame you! I also may as well, make this my last mission.

Angela: You do a good job protecting the country and keeping us safe! ❤️😘❤️😘 Don't give up so soon!

Brian: You may be right! See you in two weeks! ❤️😘❤️😘 TTYL!

Angela: ❤️😘 ❤️😘 ❤️😘 ❤️😘 Bye!

Knowing that her husband was a hard-working Army officer, she kept the faith. She then called her best friend Amanda Montgomery, in Houston on FaceTime™. Amanda picked up the phone and it was already nine o'clock. Both her husband, Peter and she were on the call.

"Amanda! How are you?" said Angela.

"Long time, no see, Angela!" said Amanda.

"Hope Houston is treating you well?"

"It's kept us busy!" said Peter.

"Peter still is working at the same power plant as the project manager!" explained Amanda. "He was working 60 hours a week until last month, but they cut him down to 48."

"Oh, is everything alright?" Angela seemed a little worried.

"Yeah, yeah!" exclaimed Peter. "As you know, they recently installed some new AI software, to help the maintenance technicians and other staff to do their jobs."

"Perks of Perkins Software and Tech Systems! No pun intended!" said Amanda. "How is Brian, nowadays?"

"He's on a mission, to save the country again." Angela said as she sighed. "He left a security bot and S.A.R.A., in charge of our safety."

"That man is always busy, heard them soldiers never sleep!" said Peter. "I couldn't do that!"

"The kids love him!" said Amanda. "They see him as their role model."

"Oh yeah?" said Angela.

"You bet!" said Peter. "As a matter of fact, Jonathan, Amanda's brother, shared a clip with us on YouTube™, of that time, when he saved those victims here in Downtown Houston, from the hostage crisis, in Wells Fargo Plaza. Not to mention, how he base jumped off that building's roof with a little girl, and deployed his parachute open later on."