Chapter 1 - a Love Distant Yet Very Close

Chapter 1 – a Love Distant Yet Very Close

Tuesday, May 2, 2023
Austin, TX
4:40 AM

Almost two weeks remained, in Brian's two month leave. He knew he was going to be back in action soon and was looking forward to it. That night, he did sleep a good six hours, until it was near five in the morning. The alarm clock was set to six. However, it seemed during his sleep, he was mumbling to himself.

Angela woke up as she heard Brian mumbling. She looked towards him in concern. Brian was talking in his sleep. She was perturbed at this instance.

"Leave me to be! Just leave me alone! Let me be with my family!" said Brian. Angela was very worried.

"Brian?" said Angela. Brian continued to mutter the same thing. Angela was a little scared. She then took the glass of water on his bedside table.

"Wake up!" said Angela. "Brian wake up!"

"Whuh?" said Brian, as he got up. He sat up in bed, then took the glass of water. Angela looked at him in concern. Brian sipped the cup of water a little, then took a deep breath before taking another small sip.

"Baby? Are you alright?" said Angela.

"Yeah, yeah!" said Brian.

"You seem scared about something!"

"I won't lie to you, I joined the military twelve years ago, while starting college. So, I can prove your father that I was worthy to be your husband. Nowadays, being away from you scares me. Every time I go to serve my country, I fear for my family and their safety. It didn't scare me back then, but it does now!"

"That happens, and you're the first man in your family, to have the guts to join the U.S. Army, when most of your family members were pacifists and didn't believe in using guns. I have to say, I'm proud of you, proud that you're my husband!"

"I always appreciate your support, Angela." Brian said, as he smiled at her. "However, I don't want to miss my kids growing up, and surely one day me and you start our own venture, and we flourish hopefully, then we don't need to worry about anything else."

Angela smiled at Brian. For one, she never had a military background herself, yet she hung onto all the medals he earned and brought home. They shared a kiss. Angela then felt a little dizzy. Brian helped her and laid her down slowly.

"Let's go back to sleep. We will talk in the morning, when we drop the kids off to school!" said Brian.

"Alright, honey!" said Angela. "The kids are excited their summer will be starting and soon." She then got herself tucked in. Brian then cozied up to her, as they cuddled together. They fell asleep a little longer, just to be freshened up for the day.

Brian was a man of a very few words. Born in July 1993, in the city Houston, TX; the young man grew up like his family to be a peaceful Christian. His father Ralph was Roman Catholic, and his mother was Ashkenazi Jewish. He did in a way, put his beliefs in both faiths. He graduated from high school in 2011, while finishing thirty college credit hours as well. It was the same time, he met Angela who was four years his junior and fell in love with her. Her father didn't mind him dating her, however being a little conservative he felt Angela was too young to date anyone. Brian respected this, and while attending the University of Houston, starting Fall 2011, he enlisted in the U.S Army in June of that year, then eventually got on board as an infantry soldier. Throughout his life, he had been a huge fan of computers, digital networking and technology, therefore did both undergrad and grad school in Information Technology and Data Sciences, respectively. He opted to join the armed forces, when he felt that Angela's parents deemed him unworthy, although her father later on explained this wasn't the case. The twelve years he served as a soldier and information systems officer, had him toughened up, yet soft still inside. Brian knew however, that he wanted to do something greater than that someday.