Chapter 18 - Arriving the Docks

Chapter 18 – Arriving the Docks

Tuesday, May 23, 2023
Lake Michigan near Chicago docks
15:11

The rains pelted Tango Carlson, as the winds blew strong. The temperature outside was supposed to be about 90 F, but the winds and rain made it feel as if it was 68. It was pretty chilly; however, Auburn was used to it, having trained for the navy. Meadows kept her goggles on at all times, to ensure she could see clearly through the thick fog and heavy rains.

"This is suicide, Lucas!" said Hunter. "We can't swim in this stormy weather and all these thick waves."

"Another option we have, is to park this boat at the docks, and risk triggering suspicions among Saenz and Gutierrez' men!" exclaimed Lucas. "Now unless you want to summon half the cronies to kill us, we should stay clear of the shore."

"Wilco!" said Hunter. "Just take care of Kayla, should something happen to me!"

"Our mission still has ways to go!" said Lucas. "If you die, you won't be doing her a favor!"

"You talk about dying Hunter?" said Auburn. "Did I save your life back in Kiev, just so you can get yourself killed?"

"We should stay optimistic!" said Meadows. "We should keep the positives going!"

"She's right!" Lucas agreed. "We shouldn't entertain the idea of dying."

"Decision taken!" said Hunter. "I'll remain positive."

"That'd be a good idea." Auburn pretended to agree. Deep inside, for whatever reason, she already had lost the will to live. Maybe it was the fear of never being able to see her children again. Maybe she was just looping in on bad memories.

"Alright, everyone!" instructed Lucas. "Be on the lookout and stay on your guard."

"Hoo-ah!" said everyone.

They all assured their oxygen tanks were full, and they were ready to jump into the lake, as soon as they headed closer to shore. Lucas closed his eyes, prayed to see his family again. He knew soon that he will eventually see them again, but for now had to keep his head up.

"Sir, according to navigational satellites, comm units and Google™ Maps, we're only about half a mile away from shore." S.A.R.A. explained. "If you need to dive into the lake, recommend now will be a good time."

"S.A.R.A., switch to another frequency and whatever you do, make sure that hostile presence is always informed, and definitely switch frequencies every two minutes, so the enemy doesn't find out where we are." Lucas ordered. "Do the same for our radios every two minutes."

"Copy that!" said S.A.R.A. "I'll make sure you're always in the loop of your surroundings. I'll also help you traverse the storm with ease."

"Did we have to go on a mission to Chicago during monsoon season?" said Meadows. "We can be killed in these heavy rains!"

"The idea is we swim together, and stay together, it's our only chance." Lucas commanded. "I'm not telling you to hold hands, but we need to do this effectively, make sure everyone is in sync! I'll make sure we're always in constant radio contact. Our breathing masks are equipped with radio walkie-talkies. And whatever you do, make your always wearing your sonar goggles, to venture the water depths."

"Hoo-ah!" said Hunter.

"Hoo-ah!" said Meadows.

"Wilco!" said Auburn.