Fancy Seeing You

I made it back just in time, as I closed the front door behind me I heard the phone ringing. I hopped on the door mat trying to tug off my shoes before I sprinted to the living room just in time to grab the receiver and press it to my ear.

"Hello?" I spoke into it trying not to breath heavily from my race to get to the phone.

"Good Afternoon is this Henry Burton?" A voice replied, I rolled my eyes, did it sound like I was Henry Burton?

"Umm no, I'm sorry but can I take a message?" I tried to be as polite as possible but mentally I was killing this woman.

"I must ask what relation you are to him before I give you any information" I sighed

"I'm his daughter, Can I help?" I asked for a final time

"Yes thank you, could you tell your father that the surgery now has his correct medication and has more information on the condition,"

I froze my father had a condition? "It does say here that you are not eligible for a social helper as you are over eighteen but we active you something to help" I remained in confusion,

"I'm sorry what? I wasn't aware that my father had any sort of condition," I questioned as I wracked my brains for some kind of thing that was wrong with my father apart from the mood swings and alcohol consumption.

"Did he not tell you? That makes sense many sufferers wouldn't, maybe you should pay us a visit and we can fill you in."

"Umm, ok, Is it the local practice?" I tried to remain calm biting my lip to stop myself from saying anything else.

"Yes, can we have an appointment this Tuesday? Two days time?" Tuesday. right.

"Of course thank you" I said goodbye and hung up the phone. I sat in silence for a while, thinking. So much new stuff was going on recently.

My thoughts turned to Jay, just the name made me smile. He seemed so caring and kind, he was hilarious and.... I fell back into the sofa. I couldn't stop myself to giggling as I thought back over our conversations.

I heard my dad coming down the stairs "hi Daddy" I held my breath as I waited for his reply.

....................................

I waited nervously in the waiting room. The plastic seats were so uncomfortable and I could feel people's eyes burning into the side of my head.

I turned trying to seek out the person staring at me and came face to face with Baldy.

"it's you!" I exclaimed, his eyes bulged and he raised an eyebrow questioningly, "umm sorry Nevermind" He nodded and I turned away again, I could tell I was bright red and had completely embarrassed myself.

"Max George?" The receptionist called, Baldy stood and followed the doctor into another room. So that was Baldy's name. Max George. Suited him I guess.

"Emily Bolton?" it was my turn now, I followed her and was lead to a consulting room. I sat and the receptionist told me a doctor would be along in a minute.

I waited about ten minutes and then a Doctor came through the door. He sat across from me and set his clipboard down on the table. "so Miss Bolton, I understand you are here on behalf of your father" I nodded not trusting my own voice, I was so nervous I just wished he would hurry up and tell me.

" let me be honest, we carried out several tests on your father a couple of months ago and he has been diagnosed." he stopped trying to have my reaction. I sighed with annoyance

"What is wrong with him?" I asked it was probably clear in my face how desperate I was to know,

"well, do you find your father has big mood swings?" I noises thinking of the violent evenings and calm mornings.

"well we have an explanation, split personality disorder," I narrowed my eyes, trying to remember what that actually meant.

"Let me put it in terms you may understand better. Have you ever seen Me,Myself and Irene?" I nodded giggling at his film choice. "well it's like that" I stopped laughing and stared at him.

My brain was working over time it explained loads, The meeting went on for another few minutes but I wasn't listening to what he was saying, the only part I remembered was when he handed me some medicine that I was supposed to give home everyday to control his temper.

I was confused. I had grown up Used to my father being liked that, the idea that he might not always have to be like that was slightly alien.

I thanked the Doctor once he was finished and left quickly. Once I was on the street I surveyed my surroundings and quickly spotted a bench slightly further down the road.

I headed towards it trying desperately to hold in the tears, I didn't even know completely why I was crying I just knew I could feel a massive lump in my throat.

I sat down once I reached the bench and closed my eyes as I took deep breathes. I could feel small drops of water dripping down on me. It better not rain was all I could think, I heard footsteps approaching and as someone cleared their throat I looked up.

Jay was standing there accompanied by Max, he was smiling widely at me which I gladly returned. "Fancy seeing you here" His Nottingham accent sen slight shivers down my spine and I laughed slightly before shifting and gesturing for them to sit.

"this is Max by the way, he lives with me." I nodded at him until he pointed out that we had actually met at the surgery. Once the words came out of his mouth Jay's head snapped up and he stared at me. "Why were you at the Doctors?"