Chapter 7

The moon was high in the sky as the string lights were lit up across the entire expanse of the resort. Some of the guests were still sitting by the fire, enjoying the ever flowing alcohol. Again, Jake had brought out the whiskey and you downed a few shots. Your body was feeling heavy, but your head light as the alcohol made its way through your veins.

At one point, Ari took your hand in his. "C'mon, let's go for a walk."

The two of you walked down the shore, away from the fire before he stopped. His hand still in yours, he sat down on the sandy beach, pulling you along with him; next to him, sat two bottles of beers. He passed one to you and you graciously accepted it. Popping off the top, you took a swig, letting the cold liquid coat your throat.

It was quiet between you two, but not an awkward kind of silence. You enjoyed the breeze coming off the sea, closing your eyes and smelling the sweet smell of the sea.

From beside you, you felt Ari's gaze and you turned to face him. His eyes were lit up from the bright moon and they gazed down to your lips before coming up to meet your eyes. He smiled, giving a chuckle before returning to his beer.

"Did I ever tell you my mother was on The Exodus?" he asked. You only shook you head as he began to tell you the story. His father was taken and so she boarded The Exodus with other survivors with nothing but the clothes on her back, along with a 4 year old Ari. When they reached the promised land, the Brits turned them away, but a young British officer felt sorry for her and decided to take in Ari.

"She gave me up," he said, his head hanging low.

Reaching up, you placed your hand on his arm. "No Ari. She saved you." He gave you a smile at your words.

He went on to say that the British officer fell in love with an American volunteer and that the three of them moved to New York when he was seven years old. He moved back to Israel the day he turned 18.

His story moved you and with the liquid courage you had coursing through your veins, you decided it was time to tell him your story.

Taking a deep breath, you began. "I was 18 when I joined the Peace Corps. I knew from a young age that I wanted to join. I just wanted peace for everyone. I met Deborah during training and we quickly became friends. I had never met anyone like her throughout my life. She gave off such great energy and was always positive. Much to our pleading, we were not stationed together. But we still kept in touch. After a few years, I decided to take a break, but I wanted to do something useful with my life instead of working a 9-5 office job. So I called up Ethan and I joined the Mossad. I worked for Ethan for a few years before I found out that I would be stationed with Deborah if I came back to the Peace Corps. Naturally, that's what I wanted to do. I had missed her so much."

You took a sip of beer before continuing with the story. "While we were there, she met another volunteer. His name was Dennis. I knew from the moment I met him there was something off about him and I told Deborah. But Dennis, he was infatuated with her. He had asked her to dinner and she agreed, but told him she only wanted to remain friends. He had tried to give her an expensive gift, but Deborah refused it as she had become increasingly uncomfortable around him. He continued to pursue her, but she kept rejected his advances. I even told her to transfer to another location, just to be away from him, but she was denied. Dennis was coming up on his two years and while he tried his best to continue his stay, he too was rejected. There was a going away party for him and we all got drunk. Another male friend of ours escorted us home. I lived two houses down from her."

Your voice grew dry from speaking and you sipped on your beer. Just thinking about the next part, your chin began to quiver and you sniffled as the tears began to flow. Ari placed an arm around you, pulling you into his side. "Two weeks later, I had gone to bed earlier, tired from the day. But I woke to her screaming. It was so loud, as if she was in the room with me. I jolted from my bed, not even caring to put on shoes and raced to her house. I found Dennis trying to drag Deborah from her house. I ran as fast as I could and when I got to them, I began furiously hitting him." You pulled up your shirt, showing off your scar. "That's how I got this. He took his bloodied knife and stabbed me. He just missed my stomach. He fled on his bicycle as I cradled Deborah's head in my lap. A neighbor ended up calling the police, but it was too late. She died in my arms, from 22 stab wounds."

"Fuck," Ari said as he held you closer to him. Both your arms encircled his waist, holding on for dear life as you sobbed. You were overwhelmed with sadness and grief as it had been nearly a year since you told anyone the story. "Is that why you left the Peace Corps?"

You nodded into his chest as he held you tightly to him; you never wanted to leave his arms ever again as you felt so safe and secure.

Once your tears subsided, you pulled away, drinking the last of your beer. Placing the bottle in the sand next to you, you turned to him. "I'm sorry for spilling my mess on you."

"Hey," he said, his hands coming up as his thumbs wiped your tears away for the second time that night. "Don't apologize. I was the one who asked for your story weeks ago. You have nothing to apologize for. You have been through so much in your life and as far as I can tell, you are such a strong woman for going through what you've gone through."

Closing your eyes, you gave him a subtle nod. It was the same thing your parents told you.

Taking deep breaths through your nose, you opened your eyes only to be met by his ocean blue orbs. Your breath caught in your throat as he eyed your lips; his hands still grasping your cheeks. He leaned forward and you closed your eyes, waiting to meet his lips.

His lips brushed delicately against yours and took everything in you to not moan from the touch. His calloused hands somehow felt soft against your cheeks as his lips moved in synch with yours. Using his hands, he tilted your head to deepen the kiss, now causing you to moan into his mouth. Even with the rough sun and climate, his lips were smooth against yours as you felt his tongue trace along your lower lip. Knowing what he wanted, you parted your lips for him, only to have his tongue invade your mouth. Sparks ignited within you as you clutched his chest helplessly, pulling him closer to you. The taste of whiskey and beer mixed together as he kissed you with passion, taking your breath away. Your right hand left his chest, only to grip at his long locks, which earned you a low growl. Goosebumps broke out against your warm skin and you craved more, but you, along with Ari, were breathless.

He pulled away but still kept his hands on yourface. Your heart was beating rapidly inyour chest as his gaze fell upon you. Youwanted more, you craved all of him, mind body and soul, but you were uncertain if he felt the sameway as you did.