Chapter Nine

Let Justice Prevail  

Moses A. Orang'o  

 Written by Moses A. Orang'o 

Edited & Revised by Ilona Gracia

Chapter Nine 

Section 1 

Patrick picked up Miss Nelly Barasa at her three-room flat where she lived with her parents and two siblings - a boy of about thirteen years old, and a sixteen-year-old girl. Even though, Nelly's parents ordered Patrick to bring her home early, Nelly told him that it was not a must for her to come back that night. He took her to Toni's nightclub where they ordered roasted meat with Ugali. Before the meal was served, Patrick ordered beer, made from barley, while Nelly took Fanta, a soft drink. A while later dinner was served and they chatted over the loud music. After dinner, they moved from the dining area and went over to another room, adjoining to the dance floor, so they could sit on a sofa and have some more drinks. This time, however, Nelly did not take a soft drink, but instead she ordered Reds a mild beer, of which she managed to consume four by the time they left the club. They had been drinking and dancing throughout the night. Patrick noted that Nelly was quite a good dancer. She was also very talkative; she was exactly what he needed at a time when his mind was so consumed with his work. He tried hard to keep up with the conversation, though, and at times, he wondered as to what it was that would await him. She talked and talked, and she never even realized how very little of her conversation was being processed in his mind. Later that night after they left the club, they booked a hotel room nearby, and they spent the night together.  

Section 2 

In the morning when he arrived at his office, he thought about the previous night and he had to admit that he loved every bit of it. For as long as he had been married, he never felt that anything he did in the line of duty was against the stipulated norms. To him, it did not amount to cheating on his wife by all means. His belief was that his work came first, even before the planting of his seeds, which had always been his driving force. For instance, at the time when he befriended Miss Nelly, it had been within the line of duty and it was very vital to the case. To crown it all, he received information that was of great importance. For starters, Patrick had found out that Mr. Bob Manday had concealed his reservation over the phone that actually could have been done from anywhere, including from Miss Eleanor's suite. He had called on that Thursday afternoon at about two o'clock and he stated that he cleared out of his room, which had been booked for a total of three nights. He had told the receptionist, who happened to be Nelly that day, to keep the refund of his stay for herself. When Patrick parted with Nelly, she assured him that she would call him if his friend ever came back. He did not stay long in the office. He picked up the videotapes he wanted and headed to the police headquarter. Upon his arrival, he was directed to Mr. Sirma's office. As he walked over there, he hoped that there was some good news for him. However, as soon as he entered the office and saw the stern look on Sirma's face, he knew he had not scored a match.  

"You wasted my time," Sirma echoed without even offering Patrick as little as a greeting.  

"No I did not, and to be honest, I did not expect your guys to find much anyway. If they had looked at this tape and found nothing, then looking at the rest of the tapes would have yielded to nothing either," Patrick said, knowing very well that this annoyed Sirma who must have been present during the viewing of the tapes.  

"Why then did you ask me to waste my time?" Sirma grumbled back at him.  

"You did not waste your time; I want us to look at this tape together," Patrick replied as he handed him the tape, "Let's check it again; I want to show you something."