Let Justice Prevail-All the chapters (minus cut-off scenes)

Let Justice Prevail

Moses A. Orang'o

Written by Moses A. Orang'o

Edited & Revised by Ilona Gracia

Chapter One

Section 1

The courtroom was as quiet as water in the pot. This was contrary to what happened just minutes before Judge Kioko entered the courtroom that day. Judge Kioko was one of those no nonsense type of people, who over the years had earned a great deal of respect within the judicial system. Therefore, it did not come as a surprise when the Chief Justice decided to assign a case of such high magnitude to him. The fact could not be controverted, that if there was any justice to be achieved, the Honorable Judge Kioko was the man to be thought of. Certainly, it was undeniable that some kind of law existed, or at least something similar to it. Furthermore, because of all the corruption that occurred within the system, as of lately it all had come to a boiling point. Even the continued pronouncement to the contrary by the Chief Justice, it had been known to hold no water.

Outside the courtroom, a large group of people had gathered. They held up placards to condemn the day's happenings. Songs and lots of ululation came from the crowd, aimed to declare the innocence of the accused. As far as the people were concerned, this case already passed through their system, and their verdict concluded that the accused was innocent. The accused on trial was no other than their statesman. He had been incriminated for crimes, which were not only ridiculous, but also wrongly timed for exposure. The entire incident was viewed more or less, as a plot to disallow him a chance to participate in the forthcoming general election, and at the same time is was intended to deny the people an opportunity to elect their man. Although, no one denied the fact that these crimes leveled against him were very serious and deserved severe punishment, and to make it even worse, he was also someone who was expected to hold a public office. Nonetheless, as anyone could conclude from the timing of the event - it was obviously a conspiracy started by the incumbent president, George Storeman, who wanted to ensure that at the time of the election there would be no worthy opponent available.

Mr. Abdi Anwar Bashir, the accused, who at the time had been the one and only person expected to win the early January poll; he just sat calmly behind the defense desk. He wore a white suit on top of his black shirt, coupled with a red tie. He was a six-foot tall man, medium size, well built, with a medium brown complexion. However, he appeared to be shy and withdrawn; yet everyone knew the type of authority he commanded. Even more, so far, no one had ever been able to beat his record as a boxer that he had established in his days back then.

To his right sat Mr. Orwa Ojijo, his lawyer, who called upon respect within the law society. To Mr. Abdi's left sat Mr. Ojijo's assistant, Mrs. Winnie Ndamwa, an elegant woman in her late twenties. Everyone in the legal department knew she was a force to reckon with and not just, a beautiful woman hiding behind the shadows of her boss, apparently, there had never been any room for laziness. Immediately behind them were sitting several other members of Mr. Ojijo's King 'n' King's Legal Firm. On the prosecution side there was an outstanding short, heavyset man. His had a round face and his skin was of a dark brown complexion. His name was Mr. Stewart Hunks; he was the leading prosecutor for the case. To beautify his table, Miss Eleanor Jonson Jabib joined him on his left. To say the least, she was quite elegant. One could not help but admire the miraculous work created by the wonderful hand of the Almighty taking its time to render something so appealing. However, her complaints surely did not accord well with her appearance. She wore a silky purple blouse with satiny buttons, tight enough to reveal the lining of the purple bra and her well-blossomed bosom. Her shiny long dark hair hung loose across her shoulders, enthroning her slightly round face and vivid blue eyes. Just one look at her and it left one with a wild form of imagination. For a moment like that, it was left up to one's own fantasy as to what she may have been wearing underneath, and surely one could not help but recall the way she had looked when she had first entered the courtroom that day. She wore a sexy black miniskirt that exposed her miraculously flawless, slender brown thighs. Down to her feet, she was dressed in silvery high heels that could have been worn only by accustomed feet. Lawyers and journalists predominantly occupied the entire courtroom and politicians who came to witness a historic event unfold. Outside the courtroom the chanting continued, it served as a reminder to those inside that the outcome was waited upon by many.