Chapter Two

Let Justice Prevail  

Moses A. Orang'o  

 Written by Moses A. Orang'o 

Edited & Revised by Ilona Gracia

Chapter Two 

"All rise," were the only words that brought silence into the courtroom when the judge appeared through the opened door located right behind the judge's bench.  

"You may be seated." The judge ordered, after he dropped down his plump body onto his bench.  

He turned to the witness box where Mrs. Wairimo waited to testify. Kioko then turned toward her and said, "Madam, I hope you understand the gravity of this case and unless you have any objection, I'll advice you to state exactly what you saw."  

He then turned back around to face the lawyers' desk. He glanced over to Mr. Hunks and said, "Your witness counselor."  

At that point, Ojijo did not mind the turn of event. Besides, he was always happy to cause some degree of confusion to his opposing attorney.  

"Mrs. Wairimo, can you tell the court what you did right after the assailant managed to escape?" Mr. Hunks explored.  

"I went to the suite directly adjacent to mine where I heard a woman scream," she explained, and it seemed as if the witness was happy with the question.  

"What did you find out?" Stewart continued to probe the witness.  

"I found a woman lying down on the floor with bruises all over her. She also bled from some of her wounds," she explained.  

"What did you do then?" He asked her.  

"She was unconscious, so without delay I checked her pulse, and I discovered that she was still alive. I immediately called the hotel receptionist. She arrived shortly after with personnel to assist." Jane stated.  

"Was that all?" Hunks enquired.  

"No. The police was also called in, and after they administered first aid, the woman regained consciousness. When asked, she stated that Mr. Abdi was her assailant. 

"Are you positive that is what she said?" He asked.  

"Yes," Mrs. Wairimo reported confidently.  

"Your Honor, I have no further questions for this witness," Stewart said.  

Judge Kioko called out to Mr. Ojijo, who then stood up and briskly walked towards Mrs. Wairimo.  

When he reached her, he started by saying, "You stated that you heard screams between one a.m. and three a.m. of the said morning."  

"Yes I did," the woman confirmed upon realizing that this handsome, tall lawyer had just asked a question. She had lingered a bit on the idea of him squeezing the last breath out of her while they were in bed together. Yet if it hadn't been for the fact that he was clearly a monster, determined to save that no-good-for-nothing womanizer, who had turned into a criminal worse than a rapist. Possibly then, and only then, she could have smiled at the thought of it.  

"How were you able to estimate the time, while you had not even for one moment spoken of as to when you looked at a clock?" He went on to say, and it appeared as if he was aware what the woman was thinking.  

"I went to bed at twelve fifteen, shortly after midnight, and I know this because I was calculating the hours I had left to sleep before waking up at six o'clock in the morning. Unfortunately, your client here saw it fit to beat up a woman and disturb my sleep," she reported in a bitter voice.