Chapter Ten

Let Justice Prevail  

Moses A. Orang'o  

Written by Moses A. Orang'o 

Edited & Revised by Ilona Gracia

Chapter Ten 

Section 1 

"Your Honor, I don't see any reason for my client to continue to be charged with these malicious accusations. I strongly feel that for the court to accord justice upon my client, it should release him immediately without further adieu and put its vast resources and energy to pressure those behind these malicious crimes to come forward and face justice," Ojijo declared breathlessly, yet quite firmly, that Thursday morning, the twenty- six of December, when he had addressed the court.  

"Your Honor," Mr. Jackson Oleo interrupted, "I wish to differ with my learned colleague. The issue of a third party being involved has not been established yet. For all I know, somebody could have easily bought a column in the 'Daily Mirror' and made these claims. I, for instance, have not heard from the police, who are alleged to be looking for a person who might be involved in all these instances. So, if the court lets this man go free because of some kind of story in the newspaper, and should it be proved otherwise, the court will lose its face. Besides, the accused will not be tried again unless other new evidence arises, and God only knows, if it even exits..."  

"Your Honor, if I may," Ojijo interjected, "My colleague, I believe, knows that there is truth into all this matter published. However, his only interest is to put up a spirited fight which..."  

"I object to that your Honor," Mr. Oleo forcefully intervened.  

"Sustained," Judge Kioko growled, "Counselor, I'm not here to listen to any form of insinuation, no matter how polished the English behind it is. So unless you have any other issue..." 

"I do your Honor," Ojijo announced, caring less on the repercussion of his interference. However, the judge looked at him as if he had just seen a ghost. This made Ojijo slightly recoil into his navy blue three-piece suit, "I'm sorry your Honor," he said quickly when he realized that the judge wished to hear more, "All I'm trying to say is that this court has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that my client committed these crimes leveled at him, but due to all matters that have arisen, it would be impossible for the court to do so."  

"Who said it would be impossible?" Judge Kioko echoed, "I, for starters, have only read these allegations from the papers, and I have not yet received any official communication from either one of you, nor the police, on this matter. I need to see some solid evidence; otherwise we shall proceed as if we did not come across this story. I will also advice the jury to ignore all this and to only concentrate on what shall be tabled before this court as evidence, and as for you counselor," he said in reference to Mr. Ojijo, "I like to ask you if you have any evidence in support of these allegations? Table them in court if you do, otherwise we shall proceed."  

To Ojijo, the judge's words sounded like finality. He knew the judge was right, but to be asked at this point in time to table evidence in court was next to impossible since he did not have any witnesses to back him.  

"Your Honor, I request extra time to look into the matter, so I can be ready for the court. Meanwhile, I am asking the court to release my client on bail."  

Judge Kioko looked at the counselors - then the jurors - he continued by looking at the entire crowd in the courtroom, then finally his eyes rested upon Mr. Abdi, who sat calmly with his team of lawyers. Kioko somehow felt sorry for him now, whereas, prior to that, he was convinced that Abdi was guilty. Kioko sensed that after the death of Miss Eleanor there had been some truth to all of this, but now all of a sudden there appeared to be a new twist to the entire story - although unproven. Nonetheless, this lawyer proved to be right. Apparently, somebody had played a joke with the course of justice. As much as Kioko hated these constant interruptions during the proceedings of the case, on the contrary, he felt time was essential in this matter. Unfortunately, the time was not there if this man was to stand for presidency in the forthcoming general election. Nonetheless, Kioko knew that despite of today's outcome, he still had to consult with the chief justice, at least for him to shade some light on the matter.