Chapter Twenty Two

▬

[ CHAPTER TWENTY TWO]
Subtler than the Whomping Willow

Exie decided an early night was best - not that she had a choice, Dr. Black and Dr. Potter saw to that. 

It was a Sunday so a luxury lie in until midday was very much on the cards. As lovely as this was it did have one big downside that she missed breakfast. This meant she'd be forced to scrounge and beg the house elves for whatever weird stuff was left.

However when she awoke, something strange was resting on her bedside table caught her eye. A full plate of food, practically overflowing with fried eggs, bacon and hash browns.

"What the..." She rubbed her eyes to check it wasn't just a dream. 

There was nobody around but it was highly unlikely that the food had just materialised out of thin air. If this were true she'd probably have to call the government to tell them she'd accidentally broken magic.

Tentatively, she picked up a croissant between her finger and thumb, holding it aloft. It didn't look poisoned in any way.

"It's okay, you can eat it!" The loud whisper seemed to come from all around, shocking her enough to drop the baked good on the floor, "... okay, maybe don't eat it now."

Exie blinked, "God?"

"Close... it's Marlene!"

"Where the devil are you?"

The top of Marlene's golden blonde hair appeared around the door, "Hey there," the rest of her body followed suit, "And you can eat it, it's not got a spell or anything. Okay it does but just to keep it hot and Lily did it so it's safe."

She didn't need telling twice, tucking in instantly, "Did the boys ask you to do this?"

"Nah but they probably would have done if we hadn't got there first," Marlene looked a little concerned, "We thought you might need it after yesterday..."

"Oh yes. That," Suddenly focusing on her egg with unmatched intensity, "Just got a bit of a manic ... sleep attack."

"... okay," Marlene didn't sound convinced, "Look, I feel like I should apologise."

"For what? This breakfast really is amazing!"

A strange glassy look crossed Marlene's eyes as she shook her head in slow mo, "Um, actually no."