Chapter One

▬

 [ CHAPTER ONE ]
Scarface, Raccoon Girl and the 'Unbeatable' Gobstones King

▬ 

If anyone asked Exie Attia to pick a favourite Marauder, the answer would be herself followed by a quizzical eyebrow raise until they stopped asking stupid questions. She loved all her boys equally, of course. Although this hadn't always been the case mainly because she hadn't actually known Sirius, Peter and James for a good few weeks so couldn't really love them at the time.

In fact, Remus Lupin was the only one she'd known right from day one at Hogwarts. 

Unlike everyone else who met tucked up together in Train cabins or gobbling down potatoes in the Great Hall, Exie and Remus met for a very different reason: they were different... so different it warranted their parents coming up with them. 

Whilst everyone else was enjoying their first taste of independence, Exie and Remus had come accompanied and again, whilst everyone unpacked their things in their brand new rooms, the young Gryffindors had been singled out. As their parents went over the final arrangements with numerous professors, Remus and Exie had both been to told to wait outside on a nearby bench, Both First Years kicked their legs idly and were playing an interesting opposite staring contest, the winner being who could go to the greatest lengths to avoid eye contact. Remus was definitely in the lead, literally having slid down the bench and stared at his shoes for a solid ten minutes. Meanwhile, Exie's tactic of merely half-shutting her eyes was interesting but not quite enough to win.

 Right now, Remus Lupin just wanted to go home and Exie Attia was feeling left out upon realising her dorm mates would have an admittedly small head start in meeting each other. Neither was in the mood to talk and if she wasn't asked to do something Exie usually didn't. Yet it suddenly struck her, she'd been sorted into Gryffindor for a reason and perhaps talking to a stranger was the first test of bravery.

"I'm Exie," The words were rushed and garbled, propelled by a franticness within.

Remus' head turned incredibly slowly, squinting as he tried to figure out whether she'd spoken or sneezed.

The tips of her ears went a little pink yet she decided to give him a second chance, "Exie ... I'm Exie. That's ... that's my name."

"Oh ... oh!" Remus Lupin became very flustered in the space of a few seconds, "I'm so sorry! I didn't hear you ... I wasn't ignoring you."

She balled her fists up in the voluminous fabric of her cloak to stem her discomfort, "It's alright."

"I'm Remus... Remus Lupin."