Chapter 40

"Happy birthday to you!"

As the song died down, James and Charlie blew out the candles on their cake. So this is what a birthday party was like. A loud gathering where everyone stuffs cake into their mouths just because the birthday boys made it to age eleven. A few months ago, Stella would have feared being in a situation like this, she would have freaked out from being surrounded by giants in such a chaotic environment. But that was a different person, Stella changed like how the season changed days before. These weren't people she feared anymore, they were a family she grew close to. In fact, she was so close that she didn't mind wearing a shorter sleeved shirt around them. Everyone knew of her scars, so what was the point of hiding them anymore? 

Glenda began passing out cake slices to everyone as Stella sat on the small coffee table. While Jason's new apartment was small, it was at least bigger than his old apartment. It was nice to see him and Clair build a life together. 

Once cake was handed to Stella, she immediately began scarfing it down. The cake  was nothing special but it had a marshmallow fluff filling in the center of it, nothing was more delicious than marshmallows. But she noticed James scraping off the marshmallow fluff inside the cake, his nose scrunched up in disgust. 

Clair chuckled as she took her seat on the couch beside Stella. "You know, James hates marshmallows." 

"But he's the one who insisted on the filling?!" 

Clair shrugged. "Maybe he wanted you to have something special on this day." 

As touched as Stella was, she couldn't help but feel guilty. It's his birthday, not hers, James didn't need to alter his cake for her. Besides, he and his brother weren't even allowed to invite any friends over because of her. They already sacrificed so much for her. 

"Enjoying the food?" Jason asked as he sat down next to Clair. A cheery look plastered on his face.

Stella nodded. "The cake is delicious!"

"Thanks kiddo." 

"You have to get this cake for my birthday."

"Sure thing, is it coming up soon?" 

"No, it's in September." 

The smile from his face dropped. "That won't be for a while."

Stella chuckled. "Well yeah, but it's not like I'm going anywhere soon."

Just then the doorbell rang. Everyone is here, who else would be here? Stella looked over at Jason and Clair for an answer but they only silently stared at each other, the fun was replaced with a serious look on their faces. 

"Dad, could you get that?" 

"Sure thing sweetie." Richard casually walked over to the door and opened it. "Ah, good to see you again."

A tall and well built man dressed in a blue striped polo shirt walked into the room bearing boxes wrapped in red gift wrap. The first thing Stella noticed about him was his face. He had a very defined jaw, like it was sculpted by an artist. Obviously he took care of his skin because he there was not a blemish or wrinkle on it. However he had to be older because his thick black hair was starting to gray, giving it a salt and pepper look. One odd thing Stella noticed was that there seemed to be something white in his hair, but Stella couldn't make out what it was, no matter how much she squinted. 

"DAD!" James and Charlie jumped up out of their seats and ran over to the man. They tackle hugged  him as soon as he set the gifts down. 

"Whoa! Careful boys." He wrapped his arms around the twins. "Don't knock us over."