Chapter 25

Rising and falling in a steady motion. That's what Stella's world felt like at the moment. Warmth surrounded her body and when she tried to shift over onto her back, she soon realized that whatever was over her was preventing her from moving. This should have alarmed Stella, but instead, she felt weirdly at peace, even the rhythmic beats that thumped below her would lul her back to sleep.

Wait a minute, beds aren't supposed to thump.

Stella opened her eyes and took in her surroundings. She was surprised to find herself curled up on Jason's chest with his hand protectively draped over her.

How did she end up sleeping with Jason. Stella racked her brain to try and recall what happen last night, but everything was so hazy. She remembered waking up to a horrible nightmare about Mike, then she was grabbed from behind, that's about it, the only other thing she can recall was a soothing tune before she blacked out.

Wanting answers, Stella gripped the fabric of Jason's shirt in an attempt to free herself from his hand but to no avail.

“Jason hey, wake up!” Stella called out while nudging his hand.

Jason groaned. “Five more minutes.”

“Not until you answer some questions.”

He let out a deep sigh that ruffled Stella's dark hair as his eyes fluttered open. His eyes locked onto her's.

“Mind telling me how I got here?”

“You don’t remember?” Jason shifted Stella into his palm as he sat up.

“Not much.”

A concerned look bore into the small girl. “You had a bad dream about someone named Mike cutting open your arms.”

Stella felt her heart skipped a beat when he uttered that name. Did she mention Ed? Did he see her scars? How much did she give away?

Anxiety threatened to claw its way out of her to broadcast Stella's tragedy to Jason. But she knew she had to stay calm, the last thing Jason needed to know about was her abuse.

“I… don’t remember anything about that nightmare.” She bluffed. “I wouldn't even know who Mike is.”

“You sounded so terrified.” The tone in his voice shook. “I wasn't sure how else to help you.”

Warmth grew in her heart. He kept her close all night just cause she was scared. It's been a very long time since someone did something like that for her. Reaching out, Stella grabbed onto his thumb and pulled it close to her for a hug. Judging by the small gasp above her, Jason was shocked by her actions.

“Thank you.”

Jason pulled her close to his chest to mimic a hug back. “Anytime, kiddo.”
As they pulled back, they looked away awkwardly. Stella knew she shouldn't feel so comfortable with being so close to someone his size, yet here she was, willingly hugging him like he was a family member or close friend. It was all so surreal.

“By the way,” Stella spoke, trying to break the awkward silence. “I heard a nice little tune after I woke up. You wouldn't happen to know what that was?”

Jason cringed and threw his head back onto the pillow with a groan.
“Oh no, you remember that?” He tilted his hand so Stella could slide off onto his stomach and bury his rose-tinted face in his hands.

The human girl stumbled a bit on the landing but she couldn't help but chuckle at Jason's embarrassment.
“You did that? You sang me a lullaby?”

“It was actually humming.” Jason muttered through his hands.

“Still a lullaby.”

Jason just let out an annoyed groan, which only amused Stella more. She stood up and began walking towards his face, holding her arms up to keep herself balanced as his torso moved up and down with his breathing. The shoulder was as close as she could get too, which was close enough for her and close enough for Jason to stop hiding his face to see what Stella was doing.