Chapter 27

Clair's green eyes fluttered open to see her boyfriend sleeping form next to her, but the morning light from the window obscured her vision. She groaned and squeezed her eyes shut, it's not like she didn't want to get up anyways. Clair was still tired from last night. It was weird, she didn't remember hearing Jason come in last night, but she also didn't remember falling asleep quickly. It's not like it mattered, Jason was here with her now. Just the two of them together.

Clair pressed her body against Jason, burying her head in his neck. He began to stir and wrapped his left arm around her, making it easier to snuggle. Her hand traced down his right arm; admiring how firm they felt, until she reached his hand, that's when her fingers began to entangle around his. Their palms started to embrace, but something small and warm prevented their hands from coming any closer. A sharp cry alerted the sleeping giants, followed by erratic squirming. Clair jerked her hand back and quickly sat up.

“What's going on?!” Jason snapped as he also shot up while cupping something to his chest.

“I nearly got squished!”

Clair shook her head in disbelief. She didn't just hear Stella’s voice coming from Jason's hands. But she watched in horror as Jason lowered his hands to reveal the tiny girl looking just as shocked and confused as Clair did.

“Shit, are you alright?!” Jason said while frantically looking over Stella for injuries. “Did she hurt you?”

“I'm fine, I'm fine.”

Jason let out a sigh of relief and turned towards Clair. “You really gotta be careful next time. You could have killed her.”

Clair was taken back by Jason's remark. Stella shouldn't have even been in here, sleeping with her boyfriend. So why did she have to be careful? She narrowed her eyes at the human. “How did you get in here?”

“He... let me in.”

“What?”

“Look, Stella had a really bad dream the other night, and sleeping with me made her feel better.” Jason explained. “That's why I didn't go to bed right away; she was too scared to sleep by herself.”  

The world stopped moving at that moment. Grief began weighing down Clair's heart as memories of a familiar excuse ran through her head. Why is this going to happen again? She can't go through the heartbreak again. Clair stared at Jason, his attention was preoccupied with the human, concern written all over his face. If she ignored this, she knew she would lose him soon.

“Oh..  okay.” Her voice was soft. “Jason, can you run the shower for me?”

“Sure thing.” Jason smiled sweetly. His smile would normally melt her heart, but it now started to bring pain. He leaned in for a kiss. His lips were always so soft, Clair wondered if this would be the last time she'd be able to kiss him like this.

He placed Stella down on the nightstand next to the bed. “Will you be good on your own for a few minutes?”

“Y… yeah.”

Jason got up and headed towards the door. “You coming, babe?”

“Oh, give me a minute, I just gotta get the clothes I want to wear out of the dryer.”

“Alright, I'll be waiting for you.” He gave a wink before disappearing to the bathroom.

Clair listened for the sound of the bathroom door shutting and the shower starting up before she addressed the issue. She looked down at the human. The little brat was just staring out the window like she wasn't just sleeping on her boyfriend's chest a few minutes ago. A surge of rage pulsed through her body. With a swift motion, Clair snatched up Stella in a  fist. The tiny girl gasped and struggled to break free from Clair's tight grasp.

“Clair, what are you doing?” Stella yelped.

“I have just about had it with you!”

“Is this b...because I s...slept with you guys?”

Clair gritted her teeth. “Gee, what ever gave you that idea?”

Stella’s body started to shake. “Look, I was s...s...s...scared. I didn't want t...to be alone.”

Clair let out a dry laugh. “You think I'm gonna fall for that excuse?”

“I don't underst-!”

“You better not get too comfortable here cause once spring comes, you're going back to the streets where you belong!”

The fearful look in Stella's eyes faded away. The two just stared at each other for a moment. For a moment, Clair thought she saw a hurt expression flicker on the human's face, but anger quickly replaced the pained look.

“You know what, Clair? Fuck you! I'm surprised Jason puts up with your shit personality!”

That remark should have made Clair angry. It did make her angry, but she didn't have the energy to continue fighting with Stella. This little street rat was going to stop at nothing to get Jason.

Clair stood to her full height and walked out to the couch in the living room. “One of these days, you're going to mouth off to the wrong giant.” She released Stella from her grip and let the human dropped down to the couch. Then slipped away to the bathroom, where she can be with her boyfriend, before she has to repeat the traumas she endured so long ago.