Chapter 20

“You're unbelievable, you know that?” Clair hissed into the phone.

A deep voice sighed heavily. “I already told you Clair, my hands are tied with work.”

“That's what you've been saying for the past two years, Max!” Clair snapped back. “Are you even going to see your sons on Christmas?”

“I'm not sure.”

“You better be there for their birthday then!” Clair growled as she hung up. Her face was hot with anger. Of course he didn't want to see his kids. He'd rather just stay with Kelly all the time. Why be a real father all the time?

Her phone rang, but she let it sit there. She didn't want to talk to Max anymore, besides, she needs to get back to work.

“Hello Clair?” Her father's voice answered on the voicemail. “You're mother might not be making dinner tonight cause she had to go to the hospital. She passed out suddenly.”
Clair felt her stomach drop. She immediately called her dad.

~~~~~~~~

Her heart raced as she wandered the halls searching for her mother's room, fearing the worst was going to happen.

Room 237. The room that held her sick mother. Clair entered the room expecting a sick and frail woman on the bed.

Laughter surprisingly filled the room.

“Mom?” Clair announced.

Her mother's face lit up. “Clair! I'm glad you made it.”

Clair rushed over and hugged her mom tightly. “Are you okay? What happened?”

“I'm fine, but we're still not sure what happened yet. Thankfully, Stella was there to call the ambulance.” She gestured over to Stella who was sitting in her father's hand.

Clair's gaze shifted over to the Stella. “You?”

Before the human could respond, the doctor entered the room.

“Mr. And Mrs. Seward-.” The woman’s eyes landed on Stella and a stern look appeared on her face. “That is not allowed in here.”

“But Stella is the reason I'm here.” Mom protested.

“Well, it's a policy that no humans are allowed in the building.” The doctor stated.

Her mother wanted to protest more but Clair interrupted. “Sorry about that, but my parents couldn't leave Stella alone in the house. She gets nervous when she's alone for too long.” Clair moved closer towards her father and plucked Stella up, ignoring the gasps from her. “That's why they called me, to come and pick her up.”

Her parents gave each other concerned looks and looked back at Stella, who also looked nervous but before anyone could really protest Clair quickly exited the room. Stella began to squirm around restlessly in Clair's cupped hands, but she fortunately kept quiet as Clair made her way down the halls and out the door. Once she was out, she went straight to her silver car to stay out of the cold and placed her on top of the dashboard.

“A little warning would have been nice.” Stella snapped, but her confidence shrunk back when she met Clair's eyes.

Clair couldn't help but smirk. It was just so hard to believe that a timid little human like her would find the nerve to actually call 911. “You saved my mother.”

Stella gave Clair a wary look. “Is… is there a problem… problem with that?”

“Of course not!” Clair chuckled. “I'm just shocked that you would actually call for help.”

“I mean, I couldn't just let her die.” Stella’s voice croaked. “She's too nice and has a family that would miss her.”

Clair looked at Stella in shock. “You thought of us?”

She looked away. “I was thinking about how it sucks to lose a parent.”

Clair felt her heart ache for Stella. Even with whatever traumas she went through, she still found the courage to help a giant when she needed it. Meanwhile, Clair has been nothing but a bitch to Stella. Now Clair started to wonder, if the human should stay like Jason wanted… but only if she stayed her her parents.
Clair's finger brushed against Stella's chin and she gently tilted her head up to meet her eyes. “Thank you.”

“You… you're welcome.”

“And I'm sorry if I hadn't been the nicest person.”

“Is there a reason for that?” She asked.

“Is there a reason why you're so terrified of giants?” Clair retorted. There were some things that she wasn't willing to discuss with her.

Stella sheepishly looked away, regretting asking that question.

Clair looked down at her phone and saw it was around lunch time. She started up her car.

“Why don’t we go out and get some lunch. I bet you're starving.”

“Yeah.” Stella said. “Where will we go.”

“Where ever you want.”