Chapter 21

The past few days were odd for Stella, but they weren't unwelcomed. Clair's demeanor changed completely. She actually greeted her and invited her to things. Like today, she invited her to go to the park with Jason and the twins. While the boys all played tag, Clair sat down on the bench with Stella perched on her shoulder.

“So your mom will be released today?”

“Yeah.” said Clair. “Thank god it was only anaemia.”

“Well, I'm glad she’ll be around for Thanksgiving.”

“Yeah, it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without her homemade pumpkin pie.”

“Can't wait to try it.” Stella chuckled.
Looking out in the field, Stella saw James and Charlie team up against Jason to take him down. They both ended up tackling him to the ground and they all laughed.

“Jason seems really good with the boys.” Stella pointed out.

"I was actually scared to tell him I had kids when we first met.” Clair admitted. “Most guys his age would run off after finding out I had kids.”

“How did you two meet?”

Clair looked over at her boyfriend with a dreamy look in her eyes. “Two years ago, my mom and I went out for lunch at Del Gatto. Coincidentally, they were short staffed that day, so Jason was working as a waiter. I just thought he was being a friendly server when he gave us extra breadsticks or when he started conversing with us.” She chuckled.

“But then, before we left, he asked if I would come back to eat there again anytime soon. That's when I realized he may have been doing more than just trying get a better tip from us.”

“When did you go back?” Stella asked, interested in Clair's love story.

“The next day. I actually caught him on his break. So during that time, we just sat and got to know each other. The rest is history.”

“That's really sweet.” Stella smiled. She had to admit, she was always a sucker for sappy romantic stories. Clair's story was nostalgic as Stella's parents met at a restaurant too.

“Have you ever been in love?” Clair asked, her voice sounding a little tense.

“No.”

“Really?”

“Yeah really.” Stella shrugged. “It's a little hard to date when you're too busy trying to survive on the streets. Also most humans on the streets are ferals, they're not really great with conversations.”

“Do you ever want to date?”

“I never gave it much thought.” Stella said bluntly. It was strange, most of her life was spent with her parents, who were in love, but she never really yearned for a romantic partner. It was nice seeing two people in love, but the idea of being in a relationship just didn't interest Stella. “Why do you ask anyways. Are you trying to breed me?”

“Oh no.” Clair gasped. “I was just… wondering.”

Stella chuckled. “Don't worry Clair, I was just kidding.”

Clair let out a nervous laugh and fell silent for a moment, before opening her mouth. “Do you really want to go back out on the streets in the Spring?”

“No I don't.” Stella wanted to say. “I want to live in Europe where I could be seen as an equal person.” Glenda was right, the streets are no place for a human, but in this country, it was the only way she could have freedom.

“I'm not sure.” Stella admitted. “I don’t really have anywhere else to go.”

“Have you ever thought about just staying with us?”

Stella was stunned! Clair was the last person she'd expect to ask that question. “I… don’t know. You guys are nice, but I'm not sure if this is where I belong.” She looked back at the giantess. “Do you… want me to stay?”

Clair sat in silence for a moment, thinking about what she was going to say. “I'm… not against it.”

“But you're not completely for me living with you guys either.”

The giantess dropped her head and sighed. “I guess not.”

Unsure of how to respond, Stella just remained silent during the rest of the day at the park, her mind raced with questions that could change her life. But the most important one: What would happen if she decided to live with the giant family?