Chapter 13

The doorbell rang, alerting everyone that it was nine. Glenda strolled down the hall and opened the door. There Jason stood in his red chefs uniform, a hint of garlic lingered on him.

Glenda smiled. “Jason, it's been too long.”

“Sorry, I got busy lately.” He replied.

“I can tell.” She led him down the hall. “I think it's wonderful that you're helping Stella out.”

“Sorry, to make you guys watch her so unexpectedly.” Jason said.

“Oh, it was no trouble at all!” Glenda replied, gleefully. “She’s such a nice girl.”

They walked into the kitchen where Stella sat cross legged on the table, she seemed to be lost in thought, but quickly snapped out of it as Glenda and Jason arrived.

Jason let out a sigh of relief. “I'm so glad you're okay, Stella. You really had me worried.”

“Oh... sorry.” She responded quietly.

“It's okay.” He reassured her.

Just then, Clair walked in and rushed over to give Jason a hug. “Hey babe.”

“Hey, Clair.” Jason said hugging her back. “Sorry to cut our time together short, I'll make it up to you.”

“Why not stay over here and make it up now?” Clair suggested.

“Yeah, I could heat up for some leftovers for you.” Glenda encouraged.

“Actually, I have to be up at five tomorrow.” Jason admitted. “So I should probably head home.”

“Oh… Alright.” Clair said dropping her arms to her side and backing away from Jason.

Glenda picked up on the hint of sadness in Clair’s voice. “Well, if you get off early you could stop by? We'd all love to see you again, Jason.”

“Yeah, I'll try to visit more.” Jason said before looking down at Stella who was quietly observing the conversation. “You ready?”

She nodded.

Jason reached out and wrapped his fingers around her, said his goodbyes and started to head towards the door.

Glenda however, noticed Stella slightly finched when his hand drew near. He didn't let her climb into his hand or asked for permission to grab her.

“Jason,” Glenda called as she followed him down the hall. “Have you ever owned a human before?”

“Honestly, no.” He admitted. “But don't worry, I did buy everything she needs at the store a while ago, and Stella would tell me if I'm doing something wrong, right Stella.”

“Yeah….” She responded awkwardly.

“Alright, but if you have any questions, please let me know.”

Jason smiled. “I will.”

“Bye Stella.” Glenda said. “Take care.”

Stella smiled warmly “Bye, Glenda.”

And with that, Jason and Stella left.

Something about Stella lingered in Glenda’s thoughts. She was wary around everyone, she nearly broke down, and the way she flinched…. Glenda has seen this behavior in humans before.

Walking back into the kitchen Glenda noticed Clair was still standing there with a sour look on her face. “I think something’s wrong with Stella.”

“Yeah, I know, and Jason needs to just get rid of her now.” Clair hissed.

“She needs help.”

“But why does Jason need to help her? A pet store or a vet would probably be better for her.” Clair snapped.

Glenda sighed. It's been four years and she still can't let go of the past. “Clair…. Jason’s not like Max.”

“Yeah, but She’s exactly like Kelly.”