Day 2: Stranded

N a v y   B l u e

 D a y  T w o

   Going to the beach was a horrible choice on my part. Terra was lying on a mat, in only his swimming trunks, and Ace was flexing his muscles to the crowd of girl surrounding him. I huffed, blowing some stray hair out of my face, then sat down next to Terra. A few girls were fawning over him, but I doubted he noticed or cared.

   Our parents usually left us to our own devices when on vacation, and they'd go and do their own things. They trusted us to stay alive and not cause trouble, and because we three loved our independence, we promised not to do anything dumb.

   "Ace, we're going swimming," I called out, putting my shades on and grabbing one of those huge floating things that you could lie down on. It could fit two people lying down, so I was confident we'd all fit. Ace shrugged, then walked over.

   He didn't seem to care about the girls, so I assumed he wasn't showing off. He helped me carry the floating thing, Terra following us. I tugged at my shirt self-consciously. I was the only one not in my swimming costume. I had it under my clothes, but I felt too exposed, so I kept my clothes on.

   "you're swimming in that?" Terra asked, pointing at my clothes. I scowled, walking back to our mats and placing my bag down. I pulled my shirt over my head, tossing it and my shorts onto the mats. I heard a guy wolf-whistle, and I blushed, slipping my slippers back on and running back to my brothers.

   "You wore a white bikini," Ace dead-panned. Terra shook his head, silently laughing. "With strings holding it up." My cheeks flushed yet again.

   "I didn't have any others!" I complained. Ace grinned, rolling his eyes. I bit my tongue and took the float from him, placing it in the water.

   "Hop on, brothers, if you fancy a ride," I said. Terra hopped on, Ace following him. I sat in the middle, balancing the float.

   "Imma take a nap," I yawned. Ace shrugged.

   "Ok, Terra and I will race. We need to see who's better at swimming, diving, underwater activities and holding our breaths," Ace counted off the things with his fingers. Terra nodded.

   "Yes, holding breath is the most important one," he said while diving off the float. Ace jumped off, saving me from falling into the water.

   "Yeah, bye, see you," I yelled after the two already swimming figures. I lay down on the float, letting out a relaxed sigh. This was life. I rested my head against my arms. Maybe I'd take a short nap...

   * * *

   Okay, second bad choice on my part. When I woke up, I was surrounded by blue. Like, blue, blue. Waters and the sky. I couldn't see the land.

   "Hey! Can anyone hear me?" I yelled, cupping my mouth with my hands as I sat up, realizing I was stranded. I took in my surroundings. Not a single sign of land. Maybe if I could find some seagulls... There!

   Just ahead of me, a few seagulls were decending, which meant that land was nearby. I glanced around, trying to find something I could paddle with. Finding nothing, I sighed and used my arms as oars, paddling in the direction of the seagulls, leaving me with a lot of free time to think.

   I wonder how I got there. There were no waves, so I couldn't have been washed away. There had not been much wind, either, so being blown away wasn't an option. That meant I had been pushed all the way out, but who would do that? My eyes drifted over to my wristwatch. It was already three in the afternoon! I'd been asleep for four hours already!

   Maybe I had been drugged. I never felt sleepy in the afternoon. It was an option, but an unlikely one. If I was pushed away from shore by a person, then it was either an accident or on purpose. My gut was telling me it was done deliberately, and Dad said to always trust your gut.

   "Navy!" I looked around, distracted and swearing I heard Terra's voice. There was some land up ahead, and maybe it was the beach. My arms were sore, but I forced myself to paddle faster. A blob came into my line of vision, and it soon turned into a figure desperately waving his hands. I waved back, squinting against the sun's rays.

   "Terra!" I yelled, watching as the figure started swimming toward me. I paddled faster yet, and we soon bumped into one another.

   "Where the hell were you!" He exclaimed. I grabbed his outstretched hands, pulling him onto the float.

   "Wait for Ace," I panted, trying to catch my breath. Who knew paddling was such hard work? Soon, Ace was on the float with us. I briefly told them about what happened and my suspisions.

   "Do you really think someone deliberately pushed you far away?" Terra asked, the fear clear in his voice.

   "I suspect. If not for the seagulls, I would still be stranded," I shrugged.

   "Well, that's enough drama for today," Ace scoffed. I punched him lightly in the shoulder, then rested my head on it.

   "Well I'm dead beat, let's go back and get some rest." Ace and Terra nodded their agreement, and they jumped off the float, pulling it to shore with powerful strokes. When we reached land, Ace whispered, "Let's not tell Mum or Dad." I nodded, watching as Terra did so releuctantly.

   "We can't worry them on our holiday," I explained. Terra nodded his head again, this time more enthusiastically.

   "It must have been the waves," he said, skipping to our mats and rolling them up. I helped him, Ace carrying all out bags and clothes. I slung a rolled up mat over my shoulder, walking back to the hotel with the other two.

   When we got back, I made a mad dash for my phone, typing in my Vacation Diary.

   V a c a t i o n   S t a t u s :

   - D a y   T w o :  Stranded

   * * *

D a t e   s t a m p :

   16 October 2014

W o r d   C o u n t :

   1075 words