Day 0: Prologue

N a v y   B l u e

D a y   Z e r o

   I dragged the comb through my hair, trying to untangle it. My messy ombre brown hair was too wavy, and I really wanted to straighten it. It'd look so much prettier straight, but Mum said no.

   I stared at my reflection, at the ugly mess before me, and sighed. My face was pale, covered in freckles, and my green eyes were like cats. I pulled my hair back in a ponytail, letting the extra wavy loose strands to fall on either sides of my face.

   I looked like the lady in the teeth advertisement. Except with less white teeth

   Scowling, I brushed my hair again, this time successfully untagling it. I quickly put some lip balm on, then began picking out my clothes.

   Mum wanted to get away from home, so now we're going on another vacation. To the beach, a beach hotel she had said. To let me enjoy the sea breeze, but I wanted nothing more than to watch useless YouTube vidoes and let my brain rot. Bummer of the Summer, I guess.

   "You look gorgeous, now let's go," my brother had walked into the room - without knocking - and complimented me. I think he just wanted to leave as soon as possible, so he could go swimming and show off his six pack and square boobs.

   "I need to pack, but I'll be down in a minute," I said, slowly folding up a floral dress and tucked it into a corner of my luggage. Ace snorted, then stomped away with those elephant feet of his.

   I picked out another dress, more formal this time, and threw in some jeans, shirts, and shorts. Undergarments were tossed in as well, and toilet paper had it's own mini-compartment. Jewellry went into another compartment. I pulled on an 'Okay? Okay.' shirt and a pair of shorts ripped at the holes, then skipped out of my room, dragging my luggage along.

   "I'm ready!" I called out, standing my luggage by the front door and walking over to the car.

   I don't really think it's considered as a car, it's more like a caravan. My family loves to travel, so Dad bought a light blue mini caravan which is super cute. Ace, Terra and I love to nap and play games, making the caravan a great choice on Dad's part. One of his only great choices, probably. I boarded the caraven, laughing as I saw Terra lying on top of Ace on the top bunk.

   "I call middle bunk!" I yelled, tossing my handbag onto the middle bunk. Terra hopped off Ace, then jumped onto the bottom bunk.

   "Mine," he declared. I grinned, sitting on my bunk.

   The bottom bunk was just a soft matress on the floor which Terra loved, the middle bunk just a metre above the bottom bunk and the top bunk also a metre above the middle bunk. Beside all the bunks were windows that could open and close.

   "Have fun, the ride's gonna be long," Mum said from the front. She and Dad were going to be in the front, where they could lie down and drive at the same time.

   Miracle we haven't died yet.

   "Yeah mum, there's a huge space for us to play in," Ace said, sounding bored. He peered down at my slightly hunched self, sticking out his tongue. I blew a rasberry at him. He was hunched as well, the ceiling too low for comfort.

   "Why did we have to be triplets?" Terra complained. I kicked his shoulder none the gently and he slapped my leg back.

   "Let's play something," Terra said, and I heard his body hit the matress.

   "Truth or Dare," Ace and I promptly said. Terra stuck his head out from under all the beds, Ace and I doing the same.

   "Okay, Truth or Dare it is."

   * * *

   "Dare."

   "Stick your head out of the window and spit on a random car." I leaned out of the window and spat a huge ball of saliva out, watching as it landed on a sleek, black, expensive-looking car. The lady inside screamed, but we were far away by then.

   "Way to go, sis! I choose truth," Ace cheered. We had been playing the game for an hour already, and thankfully we were't the type to tell lies to one another or be ashamed of our secrets. We were of different genders, but we were close as hell.

   Oh the advantages of being triplets.

   "What's your dream job." Wow. Terra asked a good question.

   "To make a lot of money and take all five of us to billions of trips in this caravan," he answered without hesitation. I frowned. Ace's dream was weird, and it wasn't even a job.

   "It's not even a job," I voiced. Ace shrugged.

   "I'll be a rich guy, I won't need no job. I'll be with you guys!" I hugged him.

   "Aww how sweet!" Terra hugged us all as well, and we stayed like that for the next few seconds, all thinking our separate thoughts.

   "What happens if we die at the beach," Terra asked. I slapped a hand over his mouth, releasing the two boys. Ace rolled his eyes, but I could sense a little fear behind his carefree facade. Furtivly, I hoped he wasn't jinxing us.

   "We won't die, Terra. I won't let us die," I comforted him. Ace scoffed while Terra looked unconvinced. He had always been afraid of death, terapists unable to help him. He sometimes woke up screaming because he dreamed that he died.

   "If you say so, Navy. If you say so."

   * * *

A u t h o r ' s   n o t e :

Okay, new short story, hope you like it XD. Navy is the girl on the cover, her hair is ombre brown! XD. Thanks so much for reading!

D a t e   s t a m p :

15 October 2014

W o r d   C o u n t :

1017 words