The Point of No Return {sequel to The Arbitrary life of Avery Blake [teacher]}32

I just wanted to say that if someone wants to make a new cover for me. That would be amazingggg. Like if you have spare time or something. But I doubt anyone will so I’ll be the loser I am and make one for myself :P lol anyway….

Chapter 32

‘Mrs Osborne knows about us.’ I had a revelation and spoke it out loud.

Cole and I were in a café outside of town where nobody had the chance of running into us. We thought we needed some time away from it all and Cole was convinced this was the best way.

Cole froze, eyes practically bulging out of his head. His breathing caught in his chest as he hesitantly spoke. ‘How-why do you think this?’ I could tell he was trying to keep the desperation out of his voice. I doubt anyone else would have been able to detect it but I knew him too well.

I bit my lip as I looked down at my tea. My fingers gripped the cup tightly as I wasn’t sure if I could get myself to tell him. I was trying to forget the events of last week.

So slowly but surely, I explained what happened with Mrs Osborne. Cole didn’t interrupt me not once. I could only hold his gaze for a few seconds before I had to look away whilst speaking.

His reaction surprised me though. Instead of being angry or showing any sign of negative emotions, he reached over and hugged me from the other side of our small table. He released me and gently kissed me on the forehead before leaning back. Cole then rested his elbows on the table and held his chin in his hands and looked straight at me.

‘It must have been horrible for you to have that all brought up again.’ Cole finally said.

He paused before continuing. ‘I just…I’m really very surprised as to find out Scarlet is Jenna’s mother. I never would have placed it. Did you manage to ask who the father was?’ Cole asked, but could practically already guess my answer.

‘No…I’m sorry. I guess I can ask her next time.’

‘No, no, that’s fine. I was just wondering. I guess by knowing it would make a lot more sense. But if you would rather leave that discomfort behind, I respect that.’ Cole smiled lovingly at me. ‘May I add that you look beautiful today, Avery,’ he said sounding as cheesy as ever.

I tried to supress a giggle as I nervously tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. It was funny to think that even now, even after all this time; Cole still had this effect on me. Just like when we had touched for the first time. When I was in the music storeroom, staying behind after class to fix the mess I had made. I remember Cole stopping in the doorway, making light conversation. I remember getting up and just as I was trying to walk past him, my elbow had bumped his arm. And as I nervously walked out of that room, I could have sworn there was a burning sensation where the touch had occurred. It sounded kind of stupid thinking back to it now, back before my life had truly changed, back before I had ever met Corbin or Meghann’s father, or even before the whole Kimberly fiasco. But in a way, I was glad that happened as Cole and I wouldn’t be where we are today if anything was different. I wouldn’t be who I am today, cliché enough.

‘What are you thinking about?’ Cole asked as his eyes were glued to me, trying to analyse me.

‘It’s nothing…it’s stupid.’

‘No, nothing you say or think is stupid. What is it?’ Cole pushed.

‘I guess I was just thinking about when we first met, the fool I made of myself in your class. And…the first time we properly touched-‘and just as I got it out, Cole and I spoke the next words simultaneously.

‘…in the music storeroom,’ we both said before erupting in laughter.

‘I…I can’t believe you remembered.’ I said, smiling like an idiot.

‘Of course I did! Didn’t you ever think that it had the same effect on me as it did you?’ Cole asked.

‘Uh…no, I guess I never thought so. After all, it was just me.’ I said sounding self-conscious.

‘Avery, I love you; you know that. And even back then there was something different about you; something that separated you from everyone else. It may be that feisty red hair of yours, or how down to earth you were…are…For example, every time I spoke to one of my students, particularly to the female students; they would always put this cool front on, or they would hide behind some “cool” persona in hopes that I would find that appealing. But you were one of the only students who showed me who you really were. From the first or second lesson, I could already tell you were quirky and fun and a major klutz.’ He smiled, showing his slight dimples.

I looked down at my lap and tried to cover the smile I had. But as soon as I looked up, I couldn’t supress it.

After five more minutes of talking, Cole looked down at his watch.

‘Blimey, Avery; I don’t mean to ruin the mood but we really ought to get back.

**

As Cole and I entered the academy, I knew something was wrong immediately.

Kiren approached us with startled look.

‘What-‘ I tried to ask before Kiren interrupted.

‘Meghann…she’s gone,’ Kiren sounded hysterical and even paler than usual.

He was here. He was at the academy. And I knew that not only was my life in danger, but also was Meghann’s.

LetMeThink0:
Another short chapter but I would rather give you guys something to read rather than keep you waiting any longer. I’ll get started on the next chapter as soon as I can.