The Point of No Return {sequel to The Arbitrary life of Avery Blake [teacher]}3

Chapter 3

Guidance- ‘You’re off to see the wizard. The wonderful wizard of Oz.’

I was nervously biting my finger nails and my toes were tapping on the faded white carpet as I sat in the waiting room, awaiting the new Northern Bay Academy Counsellor.

‘Avery Blake I’m guising?’ asked a kind, confident voice.

My eyes shot to the source of the sound. She was a beautiful mid-aged woman. She had long (and I mean long) brown hair that came to around the small of her back. Her eyes were set in a friendly questioning expression as her mouth was a warm smile. She didn’t have any appearing wrinkles yet and her skin had a beautiful makeup-free glow to it. She was about 5’8 and a healthy –not too thin- weight.

I was a little too nervous to speak so I just gave a polite nod and stood up.

She looked friendly and trustworthy enough… but hey, if I trusted everyone who looked decent then I don’t know where I’d be with Corbin right now, Kimberly and god knows who.

‘Come, sweetheart, to my office. But I hope it will be more than an office with time.’ I stayed silent as I followed her until she stopped at a bright coloured door.

She opened it with ease and ushered me in. ‘It’s never locked so you can stop by anytime. You’re always welcome.’

My jaw dropped at my surroundings. The walls were painted a creamy yellow and the carpet was a faded blue colour. There were roughly 3-4 comfy-looking chairs and a beanbag or two. There was also a big desk and chair to the right. It was very roomie and the colour schemes made you feel relaxed as intended.

‘Sit wherever you like and get comfortable.’ The counsellor added with a smile.

I hesitated before sitting at one of the puffy chairs, closest to the table.

‘Now Avery, I’ll tell you a bit about myself.’ She said, seating herself at her table before continuing with a kind smile ‘My name is Ms Mitchell but you may call me Naomi. I am of 35 years of age and… my favourite colour is purple. Anything you would like to know honey?’ I shook my head at her question.

‘Why don’t you tell me a bit about yourself then.’

I hesitated before replying ‘Well you already know my name… and my age and probably everything else considering my file…’ I said dully. I didn’t intend it to be harsh and I’m not quite sure if it came out that way… probably more as a not caring type façade though.

I continued to look down at the palms of my hands which were placed in my lap. ‘yes, yes, but tell me about you personally. E.g. hobbies, likes, hates…’

‘Um O-OK… I like Music and uhh… the guitar and m-my friends.’

‘Oh don’t be nervous dear, it’s OK. And tell me about your friends and who they are.’

‘Um, my two best friends are Kiren Jones and Meghann Vanderent. My other friends are Ivy Dixon and… Erik Parker.’ I added Erik at the end because I knew I wouldn’t get into trouble for befriending a teacher… it was nothing illegal.

‘Yes, yes. Is that Mr Parker?’

I looked up at her and nodded. She scrunched her eyebrows together before quickly releasing and replacing her earlier expression with a kind, soft one. ‘I’m sure you will tell me the story behind that friendship when we get to it. First we will start from the beginning… when you were born.’ And at that my heart dropped. I didn’t want to talk about my birth… my parents nor my childhood. And as we would get there, neither Corbin nor Cole.