The Point of No Return {sequel to The Arbitrary life of Avery Blake [teacher]}8

Chapter 8

Empty Insults- And the only thing I could do was imagine.

Kimberly Fletcher’s POV

…‘Kimberly, you’re Avery’s sister.’

And that’s when I screamed!...

But it wasn’t a scream of terror, of fear or of surprise. No, it was more of a choke, a silent scream, a gasp. ‘I don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t have a sister, I think you’re mistaken.’ I said as I tried to step around her but she grabbed my arm and pulled me to a stop; forcing me to sigh and turn to her.

‘You don’t seem surprised Kimberly. Is there something you’re not telling me? And just remember that I can tell when people lie.’

‘I don’t seem surprised because it’s not true and I know it’s not. Now if you don’t mind me going…’ I tried to pull out of her grip but my arm didn’t budge.

‘You’ve known this whole time haven’t you? And you have just stood there and watched Avery from a distance, letting her suffer in thinking her family abandoned her and that they didn’t love her. That’s cruel.’ She said as she roughly let go of my hand.

‘Just stay out of my life, and don’t you dare say any of this to Avery because you may as well be telling her a lie as you have no proof yet nor do you have my permission. It’s all a lie OK? And also just remember my family business is just that, my family business.’ I spat as I stalked away.

What right did a stranger have to call me cruel and to judge me for doing what I was doing? Because hey, I had my reasons.

‘Intrusive cow.’ I muttered as this whole issue was getting to my head.

‘Avery, was it Kimberly?’ I heard that familiar voice ask as I rounded the corner but stopped in my tracks and backed up a bit.

‘N-no… don’t worry.’ Avery said softly as I heard her sob into the hug.

‘Why are you protecting her? She has done nothing but hurt you ever since she has come to this school. She doesn’t deserve anyone’s sympathy or protection.’ Cole said.

But he was right; I couldn’t hold that against him. I had done nothing but hurt Avery and I honestly didn’t disserve her protection. They may hate me but (although I could keep saying this and nobody would still believe me) I had my reasons.

‘Just drop it C-Cole.’ She stuttered.

‘How can i? I have my girlfriend crying here in my arms and I have to stand back and watch painfully as I can’t do anything about it.’ He said.

Why did I feel so bad? I didn’t understand these new feelings. All I could do was guess them to be shame and guilt.

‘I’m s-sorry.’ She whispered.

‘It’s not your fault Av; it’s not your fault.’ He repeated softly.

I tried to compose myself and took those needed steps to reveal myself and tried to ignore their eyes as they turned to me. I put one foot in front of the other to keep myself stable.

‘What? No snarky comments? No sarcastic remarks? Not even a filthy look?’ I heard Cole ask.

I looked over to them ‘No.’ I simply said as I hurried my walk until I was out of their sight.

And Avery thought her life was hard…

I sighed.

I couldn’t stop thinking about the situation I had built for myself. I could have been normal (if only) and told Avery from the start. Or I could pretend I didn’t know… but what would the chance be in her “long-lost” sister showing up to the same High School she was attending? Yeah, not likely.