Chapter 5 - A Meal

Nathaniel POV

"Where is she?" I demanded, focusing my glare on the maid to the right who has had her head lowered in fear the second I stepped into Arabelle's room.

"We...we don't know. I'm sorry Your Highness, we will find her right away." I could smell her fear from where I was standing, it was emitting off her in waves. She was obviously aware of the dangers of offending me, and the consequence of incurring a King's wrath.

"And what, is this?" I asked, holding up the brown paper bag on the table.

"That is the donuts Miss Arabelle requested for. We were out getting them from the castle's bakery, she must have slipped out then....."

Donuts. I scoffed. But it didn't matter, I could smell her scent approaching the room. That intoxicating and comforting smell that made me want to embrace her whenever she was near, something I haven't done to anyone in a very long time.

The knob twisted, a pair of eyes poked in trying to scan the room when they met mine. "Shit." I heard her mutter to herself. My lips tugged into a small smile involuntarily, she was.... what the humans would call "cute" I thought to myself.

"Where have you been?" I asked, my voice strangely coming out gentler than I was used to.

"To the gardens."

The gardens, it made sense. She must miss the outdoors, the green she is accustomed to as a werewolf. I wondered if she resented me for not providing her with more outdoor space, and I immediately made a mental note to move her room nearer to the garden.

"Will you have dinner with me tonight?" It was not a question, but I didn't want to seem any less of a gentleman. Especially in front of her.

She seemed suprised, her face pulled into a thoughtful expression and she eyed me carefully as if she were trying to read my thoughts. "Why?" she questioned suspiciously.

Because I want to spend time with you. I thought. "I don't like questions" I replied curtly instead, "Tonight at 7 sharp, the maids will direct you to the dining hall.

She opened her mouth wanting to give a comeback for my rude reply, but something seemed to have hit her and she closed it instead. She said no more.

I took one last look at her, before striding out of the room.

------------

At 6.50 I was sitting at the dining table, my heart felt like it was racing. I was nervous as hell. What would I say to her? What if she doesn't show up? What if she asks about her family, the one I had ordered killed? I stared at the clock on the wall in front of me, 6.52.

I straightened my crisp white shirt again, carefully refolding the sleeves and redoing the cuffs. I ran my fingers through my hair in an attempt to smoothen it out, "maybe i should have gelled it"

6.58, I got out of my seat and walked to the centre of the rectangular table, rearranging the flowers carefully. I had them freshly picked from the castle's gardens. Then I refilled both mine and her glass of water before sitting back down

7, I held my breath as I waited. Anytime now.

7.05. She must be walking here by now, maybe she couldn't find her way here.

7.17. Girls take forever to get ready, it's normal.

7.32. I bit my lips down in frustration, glaring at the clock which seemed to taunt me with every second it ticked.

7.45. My jaws were clenched tightly, my hands balled into fists. Did she really think she could stand me up?

7.52. Eight more minutes, I would give her exactly eight more minutes.

8.06.
I sat there, quietly. The servers looked amongst themselves, unsure of what to make of this situation. I was humiliated in front of my own people. I, the King, had waited for a werewolf girl who never showed up. I could feel the anger boil in my veins, my teeth turning into fangs the way it did when I was in battle.

8.10. I was in front of her door, she was inside. I could hear her breathing.

Arabelle's POV

I sat on the edge of the four post bed, waiting for him. I wasn't sure why I didn't go. The maids had put hours into getting me ready. Running a bath, exfoliating my skin till it was soft and smooth, cut and painted my nails. They did my hair into long luscious waves, I had refused for them to bun it up. Then they made me put on a red gown that ran to my ankles, made of soft silk that hugged my figure perfectly and had a low dip at the back. They applied my make up with skill, the eyeshadow making my blue eyes pop even more than usual. Yet when the time came, I refused to leave. I couldn't do it, I could not love a monster when my family is in danger. Or even possibly, dead. But I didn't want to think of it, I wanted to keep the hope that they were alive. That they had managed to escape in time. Or even if they had been captured as hostages, at least still alive.

I heard his footsteps approaching, his smell wafting the air. I didn't look up at him when he entered, keeping my gaze on the floor. He walked right in front of me, towering over my frame. He took my chin and pushed it up, forcing me to meet his eyes. They were dark, not the usual grey he had. There was anger in them, and I knew I was about to pay for my actions.

"I waited for you." His voice was soft, it sounded defeated. It was then I realised there was more sadness than anger in his eyes. He let go of my chin and took a step back then another. Then his anguish semeed to turn into pure rage, he took the vase with the hydrangeas and hurled it across the room. I instinctively covered my ears as it shattered and fell onto the floor loudly. Then he flipped over the large glass table which too, broke into pieces. He started thrashing up everything he laid his sight on, but he never went near me.

"Nathaniel, please..." I said, he was huring himself too - blood dripped from his knuckles and there were cuts on his hands from the glass. But he didn't stop.

His wrath ensued, he was punching mirrors, destroying furniture, and ripping apart books and cloth. Until there was nothing left in the room undamaged but my bed and me. His breaths came out haggardly, rough and deep. His hair was tousled, slightly covering his eyes. He backed into the wall beside me and slumped against it, slowly sitting down with his legs laid out in front of him. He closed his eyes, trying to regain his composure.

I got up from my bed, making my way towards him. It was like there was a force drawing me to him, begging me to close to him. My feet stinged from stepping on broken glass shards that were laid all over the floor but I kept walking until I reached him. Then I bent down and kneeled beside him. "Im sorry...." I said softly. He opened his eyes slowly, they looked dazed and tired. Without thinking, I pulled him into an embrace, cradling his head against my chest as I softly brushed through his hair.

I wasn't sure how long it went on for, I only knew my wolf was overjoyed to be this close to him and it only wished it could go on forever. But after awhile, Nathaniel moved. He looked around at the mess he made confusedly, like a small boy who didn't understand why his finger hurt after he touched the hot kettle. Then he saw my feet. The cuts were already healing, but the dried blood still stained my skin. He reached his hands behind my back and knees and carried me up bridal style. I didn't know where he was taking me as he walked out of my room, but I didn't really care. I felt safe in his arms and I rested my head against him, slowly falling into a deep sleep.