Chapter 29 - Found

Nathaniel's POV

Red. I saw red. The first person I killed was the guard assigned to watch over her. My hands itching to pull a man's heart from his chest, yet when I did it, and saw his face drain of life, I was not satisfied. It felt like a thirst that couldn't be quenched, until I kill the one responsible for it all.

I have faced countless betrayals, yet none that ever tasted so bitter. The woman I love, and my only kin I saw as a brother. I crushed the heart in my fist, flinging it to the side as the guard's body crumpled to the ground. His mouth still shaped in a gaping "o" from the shock.

I was seething. None of the other guards dared to look me in the eye, I could almost hear them, their silent prayers that I would spare their lives. I wanted to kill them all, the useless dogs that let her escape. But this was not my first priority, I had to find her first. I would leave the killing for later.

_________________________________________________

Arabella's POV

It was night time, sitting on the little wooden swing in the backyard supported on large flat cobble stones. I held the wool blanket closer to me, relishing the warmth it provided on the cold, windy night.

It has been two days since we arrived at the safe house. We spent most of our time making preparations for the trip back to Black Crescent, planning and re-planning our routes to make it the best possible one. We also stocked up on supplies. We had chosen to leave the horses behind halfway, so that their tracks won't give us away, which meant that we had to travel on foot for the remaining journey.

"Hey," a voice from behind me snapped me out of my thoughts.

I spunned around, and sighed in relief when I realised it was just Benjamin.

"I'm sorry for startling you," his forehead creased with worry.

I shook my head, laughing. "No, no, I was just daydreaming that's all."

He gave me his mega watt smile, "I brought something for you."

That's when I realised he had his hands behind his back, holding something away from my sight. "What is it?" I asked, trying to peak around to get a glimpse of it.

"Nope! Stay where you are. Close your eyes."

I smiled, doing as instructed. I shut my eyes, placing my hands over them. I heard Benjamin shuffling, coming closer to me. He stopped a few steps in front of me.

"Ok, you can open your eyes now princess."

I giggled, letting my hands fall. I gasped slightly when I saw the dozen of sunflower stalks in his hands. Their golden-rayed flower heads were bright even in the dim light, and it reminded me of the sunflower field that Benjamin had showed me.

"Do you like them?" He asked nervously.