Chapter 4 - Benjamin

After Nathaniel left the room, Arabella sat up slowly. She ran her fingers over her chest, there was tightness and a sore where the blade had entered. But other than that, there was no pain. The wound was covered up by new skin. It was unusual that she had survived the attack much less have the wound heal so quickly, even for a werewolf. She shook her head slightly, it didn't matter.

Arabella slowly looked around, gasping slightly as she took in her surroundings. She had never noticed it until now, how lavish and elegantly decorated the room was. The walls were painted white, with marble foors cold to the touch. On the wall across from her bed was a large mirror, almost as large as the bed itself. A crystal chandelier hung above the center of the room where a small glass table stood. There was a large vase of blue hydrangeas atop it. Whoever had decorated this room had spared no expense in making it as beautiful as it could be.

She walked over to the mirror, almost afraid to see what a mess she must look like. But the girl infront of her was no mess. Arabella's jaw dropped slightly as she took in her reflection, the girl in front of her mirroring her facial movement. She looked better than she ever did. Her brown hair, instead of the tangled mess she was expecting, flowed down to her waist smoothly. The ends were curled into luscious locks and her fingers ran through them like silk. Her complexion was flawless, she always had good skin but today there was a radiance emitting from beneath her skin - making it glow. Her cheeks were rosy, as her full lips. Arabella reached out to touch the mirror, as though it was an illusion that would shatter upon contact. Yet it remained there, her fingers connected to those in the mirror.

Before she could do anything else there was a knock on the door before two petite looking ladies came scurrying in dressed in a maid's uniform. "My lady..." The one on the left spoke softly, was that fear in her voice? "Upon His Highness's orders, we are here to assist you on your every need. I am Grace. This is Phoebe." she pointed to the girl beside her. 

His Highness? My mate, Nathaniel. How odd it was to have someone else address him as a King, he seemed even more distant than he was before with that salutation. "There is nothing I need. You may leave, thank you." Grace looked up with a shocked expression, "But my lady, His Highness demands that your every need is properly addressed. Are you sure there is nothing we can help you with?" She looked up at Arabelle pleadingly, as though begging silently that she would task her with something to do. Arabelle wondered why they were so afraid, was it herself who scared them, or him?

Then an idea popped into her head, "There is this one thing..."

Once Arabelle managed to dismiss the two maids, she looked around the room again searching for something to do. Or something that might help her escape to find her family. Then she noticed a door at the end of the room. Turning the door knob carefully, she opened the white wooden door. It was a wardrobe, a walk in wardrobe. Inside there were two rows filled with clothes, neatly organised by colour. In the middle was another table, but it seemed more like a cabinet. She pulled out drawer by drawer, there was jewelry, shoes, and of course undergarments. Arabelle wondered how he managed to get the entire wardrobe done up so quickly. Unless, it was already done up before she even came to the picture. Maybe there was another woman before her. Her heart sank at the thought but she shook it away. "I don't care, I don't care for him at all. He is a monster, regardless if he is my mate or not." She insisted to herself silently.

She undressed herself of her white nightgown, hoping it was a maid that had dressed her the night before. Then she pulled out a white cami, a pair of skinny jeans and timberland boots. She grabbed a cream cardigan before she headed out, just in case it got cold. 

Cautiously opening the door of her room, she snuck out as quietly as she could. She wasn't sure if Nathaniel would be pleased to see her out of it. Even though she knew her chances of escaping the palace was close to zero, she still wanted to have a look around. Tip toeing past guards and sneaking out of the way of other vampires on the castle grounds, she managed to make her way out of the compound to a garden. There was no forest in sight, so this had to make do for awhile. She sighed contentedly at the smell of the lush green that surrouded her. Exotic looking flowers of all colours sprung out of well kempt bushes. The grass was neatly trimmed and well watered, looking from the vibrant green of it. There were a few benches that littered the place, but Arabelle caught sight of something else. Over a large pond filled with what appeared to be Koi's, there was a beautiful white and gold pavillion. She made her way towards it, excitedly skipping over the large stepping stones bringing her out to the center of the pond where the pavillion stood.

I like this place, she thought as she sat down on one of the stone stools inside the pavillion. It was good progress considering she had only been out of her room for awhile, and having already found a place she could go to in this otherwise dreadful palace. It reminded her a little of the small creek in her hometown, and the swims she would take in the summer with her best friend, Faye. 

"Faye..." She muttered silently to herself, a lump forming in her throat as she desperately prayed her friend would be okay. 

"Ahem" Arabella froze as she heard someone clear his throat. She spunned around quickly, to be met by a pair of light blue eyes, as blue as hers. The stranger chucked at her reaction, before clearing his throat and proceeding to take a small bow. A gentleman's bow, she thought as she watched him carefully. He must be one of the royal vampires, or the son of a high ranking official.

"Benjamin" He informed her, sticking his hand forward. She considered ignoring him, but she knew her father would have chided her if he would have been there. He always taught her to be a lady, and handling each situation with grace - as a lady should. "Arabelle" she reached her hand forward to meet his, "but I prefer Ara"

"Very well, Ara. What is a... lady like you doing out here in the middle of the garden at this time of the day?" He said with a smile. There was something genuine in his smile, maybe how his eyes seemed to sparkle when he spoke that calmed Ara. If even possible, maybe he was kind she thought. "Is there a reason why I shouldn't be out here?" she replied calmly, careful not to lace her words with any distaste she felt for the vampires. 

He laughed again, it was a nice laugh a kind that would make people feel at ease. It was then that Ara really took notice of his features. He had blonde hair, very light blonde that it almost looked like white under the sunlight. His blue eyes were quite captivating, and he had a sharp jawline that was made even more obvious when he cocked his head to the side as he laughed. Arabelle was sure that he would be highly sought after by other female vampires, he was undeniably very handsome with his boyish features. Though not quite as handsome as Nathaniel, who had a dangerous look to him.

"Well I guess you're right. A beautiful girl like you should be able to have and do anything she wishes." He said with a smile. Arabelle was unfazed by his compliment, she knew she was considered a beauty since a tender age. She never had trouble capturing the attention of men, but it was always a disappointment to her. She wanted to be loved for something more than her physical attributes. 

"Do you tell this to all the women you meet?" She raised an eyebrow playfully. 

"Well, if the circumstance allows it." He shrugged.

"Playboy," She smiled as she got up to her feet. "Nice to meet you Mister Benjamin, but i best be on my way. A beautiful girl has many things to do, and many suitors to meet." She said jokingly as she did a small curtsy before walking back into the castle. 

Benjamin shook his head gently as he smiled to himself, watching her retreating figure. What an interesting girl, he thought. "Playboy" he muttered to himself, recalling how the word rolled off her tongue. She made such a common word have such a lasting impression. Benjamin knew he was a playboy, jumping from one girl to the next. He could never have enough, but he always grew bored if he looked at the same face for too long. It was an easy lifestyle for him, considering his good looks. And of course his royal status as the King's closest cousin. Women threw themselves at him, jumping at the chance to be the object of his affection - even if it were only for a split moment. But that Arabelle girl, boy, she's not one of those girls he thought silently,

_____________________________________________________

Photo of Benjamin on the right. /swooooons/ how good looking is Lucky Blue Smith?!?!?!?