Chapter 33 - Forget Me

Nathaniel let out a deep sigh, rubbing his thumb against his temple with a frown on his face.

The servant put down the food, untouched by Arabella, onto the silver tray and scampered off with it quickly. 

He knew she was stubborn, but he didn't know she would be this difficult. He recalled the conversation they shared the last time he had seen her.

*****

"You're lying." She spat.

"We're all sinners. We just sin differently." He said. "I didn't want to tell you this, but you left me no choice. I have to protect my Kingdom, I have to feed my people. The werewolves are preparing to attack anytime now, and I cannot simply stand and watch."

She hung her mouth open, then closed it. "Get out," She said in a hushed whisper, Nathaniel could see the tears threatening to spill out of her eyes. He knew she was trying to hold them back from him.

How he wanted to bring her into his arms and let her cry into his chest, as how lovers do. But this was a strange relationship, he wasn't sure if they could be called lovers anymore. He stared down at the hard floor, his eyelashes batting against his cheek. "I will be here when you need me," He said, hoping she knew what he meant.

*****

But she had not called for him once. It had been two whole days, and she had fought the pain, refusing to let him ease it. Every time he tried to go to her, he was pushed away. She barely ate, for she would only vomit what she consumed. 

Nathaniel would not have her senselessly suffering anymore, he stormed to her room. Without bothering to knock, he pushed the doors open. Arabella was curled onto the bed, her breaths were slow and soft. Her eyes were squeezed shut, beads of sweat framed her face, she had one hand clutching her stomach.

He walked over to the bed and climbed into it, and in one swift motion, took her into his arms. Arabella was glad she did not have the strength to resist it, his touch felt like sweet relief. The quench to a thirsty mouth, like silk sheets on calloused skin, like the first drop of rain after weeks of drought. She let him hold her close, and immediately, the acute pain in her abdomen started fading away till it was nothing but a dull ache. 

"You're burning up," She heard him whisper, but she didn't care. She was starting to drift off into sleep, a luxury she hasn't had in days. Her tired body moulded perfectly into his, she rested her forehead on his chest. She was on the brink of sleep, when she felt him kiss the top of her head, before she drifted off into a sweet slumber.

______

Arabella felt a familiar sense of dread filled her when she opened her eyes. 

She was in the forest again, the same damp leaves under her and dark skies above. She tried getting up, but she was far too weak and too tired to do so. It felt like a heavy stone was resting against her, forcing her body firmly to the ground. 

It was getting darker as night was approaching, Arabella felt fear creep in, she wanted to get home. She no longer felt safe in forests. She waited, for Benjamin to come save her like he had done before.

It was not long before she heard footsteps, she heard his voice calling out her name. He was here to save her again. She broke into a smile as he saw him running towards her, his blond hair shining in the darkness. He knelt down beside her, caressing her cheeks. "Don't you worry, I've got you." 

Then, Arabella caught a flicker of silver in the corner of her eye, she opened her mouth to warn Benjamin but it was too late. The dagger found its way into his back and his heart. His eyes widened in shock, his mouth hung open as a gasp escaped his throat. He stared down at his chest in confusion, his satin shirt was already starting to redden from where the dagger wound through.