Chapter 14 - One day

Breakfast was fresh french baguette served with butter and jam, with a piping cup of hot coffee. I had woken up with a slight headache from the alcohol the day before but my memory was clear as day.

"I love you Ara," he said softly, his grey eyes boring into mine intensely. His simple words set of fireworks inside of me, and sent my heart thumping like a wild drum. The butterflies in my stomach were flying like rockets, bouncing off the sides of my stomach. He places his hnd upon my waist, pulling me closer to him. Our bodies were now pressed tightly against each other. He cupped one side of my face with his hand, and slowly leaned forward, bringing his luscious lips dangerously close to mine. Oh god, he's going to kiss me I thought. I froze in place as his lips inched closer and closer, before finally landing on my own. He kissed me tenderly, sucking and working his tonue softly against my lips. I parted my lips, allowing him entrance and he slid his tongue in. His kisses grew more needy, and he kissed me more passionately. I kissed him back, exploring his mouth with my tongue. I could feel his member hardening, and I immediately pulled away leaving us both gasping for air. "We shouldn't" I knew I had to stop him, before he could no longer control his urges. I didn't want to do anything I would regret later on. He nodded understandinly, albeit a little disappointed. But still, he held me by my hand as he escorted me back to my room and kissed me goodnight.

I looked up at him from across the small table, but he was already staring right at me. "Do you have anything in mind to do today?" He asked with a smile as he reached and placed his hand over mine.

"Anything's fine," I smiled back.

_____________________________________________

Our first destination was the famous eiffel tower. It looked even larger in real life and it wss incredible seeing it in person after reading so much about it on books and seeing it in movies. Nathaniel was a very patient tour guide, letting me snap away incessantly with the camera I found packed into my suitcase. He told me famous tales about the eiffel tower, including the many suicides that occurred at this beautiful structure.

We bought tickets and went to the top of the eiffel for a good view of the city. There were other tourists and some locals, buzzing away exictedly in their own languages. I was grateful for the sunny weather, but stll the winds were extremely strong so high up, and I was shivering even with my enhanced werewolf heat. Nathaniel came up behind me, putting his arms around me protectively and whispering in my ear "I'll keep you warm."

I smiled under the mask of scarf at the gesture and rested my cheek on his arm as we admired the beautiful horizon in comfortable silence.

When we got down, I told Nathaniel that I wanted us to explore the city on foot so he dismissed the chaffeur. We took our time, roaming and exploring the little streets of Paris. We passed by a gelato shop and got ourselves a cone each. Nathaniel possed childishly with the two ice cream cones, pretending they were his eyes and I snapped a quick picture. it was heartening to see this playful and warm side of Nathaniel, which was so unlike his usual hard and cold exterior. I knew deep down he wasn't as heartless as he believed himself to be. He was capable of kindness and love, he just didn't know it yet.

We walked down the streets hand in hand. Some vampries who passed us recognised Nathaniel. They would widen their eyes and stop in their tracks to bow respectfully as we passed. Nathaniel would acknowledge them with a stiff nod, not even offering a smile. I guess he still had a reputation to maintain.

Eventually, we made our way to the River Sein. We walked down the riverbanks, chatting about different things. He told me more stories about his great adventures over the centuries as per request, and I told him more about my life back in Black Crescent. His stories revealed snippets of how his hard personality came to be. He had gone through so much, too many backstabbing, lies and schemes for anyone to handle. He revealed to me how his parents and relatives were brutally murdered by the traitors in the castle when he was just a vampire teen growing into maturity. He and his cousin narrowly escaped by hiding in the underground tunnels until they found a way out. After several decades he finally built an army strong enough to overtake these traitors and took the his place in his rightful throne.

"I know your cousin, Benjamin right?" I recalled.

He looked at me curiously, "How do you know him?"

"We met in the castle."

"Oh... How do you find him?" He asked

"He's nice, friendly.... We're friends." I said simply.

"Ah..." He drifted off, looking into the river intently with an unreadable expression on his face.

"Are you jealous?" I asked amused.

"No! Of course not!" His face grew red as he denied the accusation.

"Yes you totally are! You're jealous Nathaniel Devin."

"That's KING Nathaniel Devin," He replied cheekily.

"Kind of jealousy," I scoffed under my breath.

"I heard that," He laughed.

As the day turned into night, the lights along the riverbank statrted to light up. We boarded a cruise restaurant for a romantic candle light dinner. French food was exquisite, it was delicious and beautiful at the same time and it was seriously growing on me. i loved food, I was sure I would be fat if it wasn't for my werewolf metabolism that burned up the incredible amounts of food I ate a day.

The entire dinner experience was magical. It was one of the best dinners of my life, just being able oto eat and enjoy the passing scenery at the same time. Nathaniel even taught me some basic french phrases I could use, and he laughed at my horrible language skills. By the time we were done with dinner it was half past nine, Nathaniel gave a quick call to the chaffeur to pick us up from where we alighted the cruise.

I was so tired from all the walking that I fell asleep quickly on Nathaniel's shoulder once we were in the car. I was slowly transitioning out of sleep when I felt the car come to a halt at the chateau, but Nathaniel did not wake me up. Instead he scooped me into his arms and carried me all the way to my room

"Goodnight my Queen," he said softly as he tucked me into bed and gave me a small kiss on my cheek. I wanted to wish him a good night too, but the I had already been lulled into a deep sleep.