Chapter 8 - Hurt

"Lover...?" Arabelle barely choked out. Her blue eyes squinted at the woman who claimed her mate's love.

"That's right. You're probably just another one of his whores, I'm the real thing. So step aside." Vanessa said casually, seemingly unbothered by the fact that Arabelle was in Nathaniel's clothes. Arabelle knew she wasn't lying, and her head spinned at the discovery.

Without a word, she brushed past Vanessa into the hallways. She needed to shift. Her wolf needed to run, to let go of the anguish building within her. As soon as she got outdoors and away from the vampire crowds she shifted into her white wolf form. And she ran.

She ran for hours and hours. She wasn't quite sure where she could go, she only knew she needed to get away. She could feel her hind legs starting to give in, her speed dropping. Until finally, she could take it no longer. Her wolf whimpered softly as it found a resting spot against a big oak tree, and fell into a deep sleep.

Nathaniel's POV

"Natty!!!!" I heard a shrill shriek coming from behind me. I grimaced, I knew exactly who that annoying voice belonged to. Vanessa.

Sure enough, it was her. Same blonde eyes, same green eyes, same talent at irritating the hell out of me. 

"Natty! It's been ages since I last saw you," giviing a girly pout. She wasn't exaggerating though, to her credit. It has been exactly 50 years since I've last seen her. I had tried as much as possible to avoid meeting her, denying all her invitations to visit her in Old England.

"Vanessa." I nodded formally.

"Oh come on," She said pinching my right cheek "Enough with that boring old attitude. Let's go have some fun"

I gently pushed her hand away, straightening my suit. "I'm sorry, I have things to attend to. I will ask Benjamin to accompany you while i'm busy."

She huffed and crossed her hands, "I'm not interested in Benjamin." she muttered rolling her eyes, "I'm interested, in you." 

"Thank you, but I'm sure you'd find plenty of other forms of pleasure here in this castle Lady Vanessa. I will have to take my leave now. If there is anything urgent, you can contact me through Xavier." I took my bow and started walking away.

"Is it because of your new whore - that Arabelle girl? I've met her."

I stopped in my tracks, i could feel my fists clenching beside me. "What did you say to her?"

"What else? The truth. I'm your fiancee Nathaniel, no matter how hard you push me away. I will always be rightfully yours."

I turned to look at her, her green eyes carrying the same indignance and confidence she did the last time I saw her. 

"You. Will never. Speak to her again." I warned icily. 

Vanessa was visibly taken aback, her mouth hanging slightly open and her eyes darted to the left - avoiding my gaze.

"Are we clear?" I took a step towards her, forcing her a step back.

"Y-yes my King."

With that, I stalked quickly back to my room. I needed to explain things to Arabelle - she would misunderstand. This was all a big misunderstanding. Vanessa was a family friend, we were engaged at 18 - the day we would turn into full fledged vampires due to our bloodline. Royal vampires are born human - their thirst for blood would grow with age. At 18, we stop aging and depend solely on blood for our immortality. Prearranged marriages are common between royals and important families of the Vampire Kingdom. Vanessa's father was one of the richest vampires in the world - he owned Old England and all its properties, factories, and human farms. But I had no affection for Vanessa whatsoever, even though she has been infatuated with me since 16.