Chapter 2 - Arabella

"Ara~ Ara~ Wake up, come on! It's your birthday" a soft voice gently shoke Arabella from her slumber. She covered her eyes from the morning light with the back of her right palm and smiled as she pretended to ignore her best friend, Faye.

"Come on Ara, everyone's waiting for you downstairs" Faye shoke Ara's shoulders once more trying to get the beautiful brunette out of bed. 

"Five minutes, please. Just five more Faye." Ara felt a swarm of fingers attacking her torso, she sprung her eyes open and jumped up laughing uncontrollably from the tickles. "Okay, okay! Stop! I'm up, i'm up!" Ara laughed and drew her best friend into a hug. "Oh Faye, it's today. I can't believe it. I might be finding him today." Arabelle whispered.

Faye pulled back and looked into Ara's ice blue eyes, grabbing her best friend's hands. "You'll love him, I know it. Just like how I love Ethan."  Arabelle nodded gently, engaging in a moment of silent thought. She wondered how he would look like, sound like, feel like. She had been waiting for this day as long as she could remember. Today, on her 18th birthday she would finally be able to meet her mate. Hopefully that is, if he was nearby. Her heart fell slightly at the thought of the chance she might not meet him today, or anytime in the near future. 

As if reading her mind Faye pulled Ara back into reality with a comforting smile, "He'll be here today Ara. Don't worry."

The next few hours were a blur. Helping to decorate the pack house and the large open back garden that led into the forest was no easy task, even for werewolves. The pack house was practically a castle. Passed on from generations of werewolves, the estate was now worth a fortune and belonged to the Alpha of every generation in the Black Crescent Pack. As the night set in, guests began streaming in. The air was filled with laughter and shouts of excitement, Ara stood back and smiled at the lively atmosphere as the back garden was crowded with famillar faces. She was immensely grateful, that even in this time of war and violence she could surrouded with her family and all the people she loved. But as the hours went past, she and the wolf within her grew more and more anxious by the absence of her mate.

"Happy Birthday Ara sweetie" a comforting, famillar voice said from behing her. Arabella smiled, knowing exactly who it was before she spunned on her heels running up to her father to catch him in a warm embrace. "Thank you daddy." she whispered into his ear. Matthew, the alpha of the pack, smiled down lovingly at his daughter. She was a splitting image of her late mother, and impossibly more beautiful. "I love you sweetheart, more than anything in the world. Enjoy your special day my princess." He gently kissed her on her forehead before sending her on her way to her large group of waiting friends.

"Alpha," Connor, his Beta mindlinked Matthew. "Something's wrong."

Matthew looked intently as his surroundings, scanning the area before demanding in his alpha tone. "What's wrong Connor?"

"The vampires, they're here. They killed two of our werewolves on patrol. I think they're coming your wa-" Before connor had the chance to finish, a blood curdling scream rang in the air. Everyone stopped what they were doing, male werewolves instinctively pushing their female mates behind them for protection. The next thing they knew, hundreds of vampires swarmed in on the area attacking anything and everything in sight. Chaos struck.

Screams, the sound of bones cracking, necks snapping and the vicious tearing of skin was all that filled the air. The pale attackers came in from all directions, completely ambushing the werewolves who were caught unprepared. Before they had the chance to shift into their wolves, they were ruthlessly killed by the vampires.

Arabella stood rooted to the ground, not believing what was happening in front of her. The faces of her friends, her uncles, her cousins as they screamed in horror. The blood that seeped from their decapitated heads, thrown onto the floor. 

"ARA!!" Faye screamed as she grabbed her friend by her arm and pulled her out of the way of a charging vampire. "SHIFT NOW!"

Without another word Arabelle did as she was told and shifted into her wolf. Her pure white fur distinguished her from the rest of the werewolves, her smaller frame allowed her to run faster and increased her agilty. She followed the brown streaked wolf in front of her, running through the woods as they dodged trees and vampires. She heard something moving behind them, or rather a group of somethings. Vampires.

They came to a halt at a clearing, they were surrounded. Vampires closed in on them from all directions, backing the two wolves together. "Ara" Faye whimpered through the mind link. Ara wished she knew what she could say to comfort her friend, but she knew what was to happen. Her impending death. But she could not see her best friend get hurt, the girl who she known her entire life. She could not, so she chose the most self sacrificial thing to do. "Run Faye" she instructed.

Then Ara leaped onto the nearest vampire, using her teeth to bite down on his neck. With a twist, she snapped it and killed him. But three others jumped onto her back pinning her down. She tried to claw at them, but they were too strong and overpowered her. "Filthy beast" another fourth vampire spat as she closed down on Arabella. She drew out a blade, and Ara closed her eyes at what was to come. Tears welled behind her eyelids as she thought of her family in danger, she had put them in danger with this party.

"STOP NOW!!!" She heard a loud voice commanding the vampire. But it was too late, she felt the blade go through her fur covered chest. She opened her eyes and felt her body shift back to its human form. Exposing her nakedness to the onlooking vampires. Then a face above hers, a handsome face with piercing grey eyes. The stranger reached out and cupped her face in his hands, a distressed expression on his face. Tingles of electricity ran down her cheeks where his skin met hers, Mate she thought. As the world went black.