Compromise Me: Chapter 33

Chapter 33

By the time Thursday night rolled around, the night of the big first date, Travis and Josie had set a rather interesting schedule between themselves.  She would arrive at the studio early to work with the Babies.  Travis would show up an hour later, barge into the Snob Lounge -- it didn't matter if they were in the middle of recording -- kiss Josie good morning and disappear.

Sometime around noon, Josie touched base with Livie, while Travis went after everyone's lunch, and then she found herself back in the supply closet.  Travis would give her a sack of something to eat, take her into his arms, tell her something new about himself -- Thursday's tidbit was, "I like my waffles with peanut butter and jelly" -- and then kiss her again.  Someone -- joking around -- put a sign on the closet’s door that said, “Conference Room: Do Not Disturb.”

Then at seven o'clock every night, Travis waited around to walk her and the Babies to their cars at a nearby garage.  To Josie, it was funny how easily he managed to win all of those girls' hearts with such a simple act of chivalry.  Even Britney blushed prettily when he gallantly opened her car door for her and wished her a pleasant evening.  After that, he gave Josie her final day's kiss and sent her off on her way.

Once, Josie asked if he'd like to join her for dinner, but he shook his head, said, "We've made plans for our first date, and dammit that's how we're keeping it."  And since he seemed so adamant about doing this the right way, Josie figured she'd let him.  Let him take the lead.  Let him set the pace.  Let him keep his peace of mind by pursuing a normal, healthy dating relationship, because -- the angels help that man -- he had tied himself into knots just agreeing to a first date.

So for Josie, that first date went something like this...

Travis met Josie at the studio's front doors at seven-thirty, giving her time to change into comfortable clothes.  He preluded with a small kiss, held her hand as they walked to his truck, and he asked if she was excited about the concert, to which she replied, "Absolutely."  He drove to the Gardens for the concert, parked in a VIP spot, and helped her out of the truck.  

“The show starts at eight-thirty,” he said, ushering her through the gates and past the concert lawn, toward the mass of tables set up for the patrons.  Memphis’ Botanical Gardens held a concert series every summer.  It was a great place to hang out with friends, eat dinner and listen to the array of musicians on the bill each month.  Josie had always wanted to go to one of the shows, but until now, she never got the opportunity.  To actually sit at a table with friends and other folks, sampling the delicious fare of the catered foods and relaxing as the music played...it was a concert experience she’d never been part of.  Usually, Josie tended to go to shows in stadiums, sitting up in the seats where she could view the whole the stage, or weaving her way down in the pit, dancing the night away.  

So to say she was giddy to her toenails that he thought to ask her here for their first official date...well, that was an understatement.  But instead of finding their table, Travis grinned and led them toward the backstage area, flashing their passes to the guard there.  Josie blinked.  She gazed back at the white round tables and the smiling faces...and the food.  They left it all behind.  

“Did I tell you that Dave’s company helps with the security at these things?” Travis asked her.