Compromise Me: Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Just when life had turned so sweet, Josie thought on the ride back, the world flipped upside down. Livie and Travis... A bittersweet coincidence.

Oh, Travis, she sighed to herself, glancing at him next to her. How he must feel so confused right now.

The streets of Los Angeles became a blur. Josie leaned her head against his shoulder as he looked through the pages of his mother's memory book. He was tense. So strained with emotion. Finally, he grunted and closed the book with a snap. Josie said nothing. She snuggled deeper into his side and breathed him in.

"Bartholomew, stop the car," Travis called out suddenly. A skilled driver, Bartholomew didn't jerk. He eased the vehicle into a parking space and shifted to look over his shoulder at them. Josie sat up.

"What is it?" she asked, studying their immediate area. They were close to a line of shops and storefronts.

"I'm sorry," Travis said to her. "I need to go do something. Can I meet you back at the hotel in a couple of hours?"

"Where are you going?" she asked, frowning.

"Just...I just have to do something," he said vaguely. "I'd ask you to come with me, but...but this is something I've always done by myself. Do you mind?"

"Travis..."

He kissed her softly. "I promise I'll explain later. I love you."

"I love you, too," she said, but he was already getting out of the car. "Travis!"

He leaned down to look at her. "I'll see you for dinner, okay? And I'll call you to let you know when."

"But Travis..."

"Bartholomew, stay with Josie, okay?"

Bartholomew nodded, but Josie said, "Wait..."

Travis grinned...that old, teasing grin of his, and Josie couldn't muster the energy to get upset. Then he closed the door and began walking away on the sidewalk. Josie almost got out and followed him, but she sighed and looked back at Bartholomew.

"Are all men like this?" she asked him, perturbed and feeling childishly peeved.

"We can be," Bartholomew chuckled. "But look at it this way...he said a couple of hours, right? A beautiful lady like you in Los Angeles...just a short drive away from some of the best shopping in America... And with a personal driver at your beck and call, who knows all the good boutiques..."

Josie smiled back at him. "Know any place that sells red stickers?"

"Red stickers, miss?"

"Or stuffed owls," she said. "Like the rest of that family, Travis' son has his preferences, too."

"Well," Bartholomew said, pulling out of the parking space. "I'm sure we can find a couple of good toy stores...and maybe a few places for you, too."

Josie sat back against the leather seats. "Considering that my boyfriend ditched me in L.A. to go off and do God knows what, I think I'm entitled to a small shopping spree. Toy stores first, Bartholomew, if you please. Then...one of those over-priced lingerie shops."

Her driver laughed, and a few hours later, Josie had purchased a dozen packages of stickers, two stuffed owls and a child's chemistry set. Oh...and a couple of discreet items for herself -- one being bra and panty set she loved so much she chose to wear it out of the store under her dress after purchasing. Then she treated Bartholomew to a late lunch at the hotel and waited for Travis to call.