Compromise Me: Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Tristan eventually curled up on her pile of bedding and fell asleep with the red owl in his arms.  Josie was helping Travis put the mattress on her “new” brass bed and glanced over.  “Aww,” she said, seeing the little boy with a smile in his sleep.  “That’s the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.”

With hand curled around his hips, Travis gazed lovingly down at this son.  “Yeah...I think I truly fell in love with him the first time I saw him sleep.  I thought I loved him when I found out Arielle was pregnant, and then when I got to hold him the first time, but it was seeing the way he smiles in his sleep that sucker-punched me.  To always be that happy...to have dreams that make you smile like that…”

Josie bent down to smooth her palm over the boy’s hair.  “He’s precious, Travis.”

“Yes, he is...and asleep on your blankets.  We still have to make the bed up.”

“I’ll do it,” Josie said softly.  “Why don’t you take him home?  I’m sure you both have to be up early for your trip.”

“We do,” Travis said.  Then he hunkered down next to her and said, “But while he’s in dreamland and not watching us…”  Travis kissed her.

Josie leaned toward him, pressing her other palm to his heart.  

“I’m an addict,” Travis muttered when their lips parted.  “I’m going to miss that when I’m gone.”

Josie smiled into his eyes.  It amazed her how quickly their relationship had turned around.  All it took was him trusting her...trusting that she was willing to go as slow as he needed, and once that settled inside him, he seemed to be running with it.  Which was good.  It boded well for their future together.  She just hoped he never stopped running.  Because now he was running toward her, with her, for her, rather than in the other direction.

Travis scooped up his son in his arms.  The red owl dropped to the floor and Josie tucked it back into Tristan’s arms.  “He can keep it,” she said.  “Oh...and you forgot something.”  She looked around for the record box, found it in a corner and flipped through the contents for the Bob Dylan album.

Travis smirked as she handed to him.  “I remembered it halfway home the other day.  Then I thought that if there came a time you were pissed at me, I could use it as a way of coming over here.”

Josie’s smile quirked playfully.  “I thought to use it as a way of getting you back here,” she admitted.

He laughed quietly and gave it back to her.  “Then maybe you should keep it...for emergencies.”

Josie hugged it to her chest.  “I’ll hold on to it for now, but it is yours to keep.”

“I’ll come back for it,” he promised.

Josie leaned over and kissed Tristan’s cheek.  “Have a great week, Little Man,” she whispered.