Compromise Me: Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Travis' cell phone rang at 6:30 am.  Queen’s “Fat Bottom Girls.”

Arielle.

"What is it?" he asked hurriedly, jerked awake.  "Is Tristan okay?"

"What?" Arielle asked.  "Tristan's fine."

“Is this an emergency?” he asked, his head catching up with the change in realities and groggy with sleep.

Arielle laughed.  “Oh!  No, it's not.”

Travis ended the call and went back to sleep.  She called again, Freddy Mercury singing, “You make the rockin’ world go round.”  He turned off the sound.

*****

Arielle sat looking at the phone and said to Sam, “He won’t answer.”

Sam sipped his coffee, watching cartoons with Tristan as the boy ate his cereal in the hotel room’s sitting area.  “It’s early, Ari,” Sam said.  “Cut the guy some slack.”

She leaned across him and grabbed the hotel phone.  “Something’s going on with those two.”

“And it’s none of your business,” Sam said.

“Uh huh…”

*****

Travis phone vibrated on his bedside table five minutes later.  He didn't recognize the caller.  "Dammit...if this is Arielle...hello?"

"Hey, baby daddy!"

"You've got to be kidding me," he groaned.

Arielle laughed.  “That's the same thing Josie said this morning.”

“She's hot, Trav,” Sam called out through the phone.  The sounds of Tristan’s favorite cartoon could be heard in the background.

“Yes, she is,” Arielle reiterated.  “So....what's the story between you two.”

Travis growled.  “Tristan up yet?”

“You know he is.”

“Let me talk to him.”

Arielle sighed dramatically.  “Fine.  Trist! Daddy's on the phone.”

“Hi, Daddy!”

Travis winced.  He loved his little man to pieces, but the boy only had one volume setting, and it was too early to be that loud...and happy.  Morning person.  Got that from his mother.  “How are you this morning?”