Compromise Me: Chapters 38 & 39

PLEASE NOTE:  Due to complications with the content filter, whenever you see these symbols %%%%, please insert your preferred cuss word!  Thank you.  I hope this works. (And obviously, some of you will have too much fun with this, but feel free to share.)

Chapter 38

Monday morning rolled around, and Travis trotted up to Josie’s office, knowing she’d been there since seven that morning.  He paused just outside her door, taking in the sight of her head bent over a spreadsheet, her graceful neck flowing down to her shoulders, her back straight, and one leg tucked under the other in her chair.  She had her hair down today, in a loose braid that fell over one shoulder.  A lightweight sweater hung from the back of the chair, and she wore only a thin, strappy dress that pleated from her bustline and flowed downward from there.  The necklace he gave her was her only jewelry.

The big windows beyond her desk showcased the morning sun drawing long shadows across the ground below them.  The strip of river seen from her office twinkled as it flowed by, and a slight breeze whipped an American flag on a neighboring building.  It was a beautiful morning, the perfect kind of summer morning, with low humidity, bright skies and a scattering of clouds.  But Travis only saw Josie.  

She loves me…

She’d told him many times over the weekend, had expressed love towards Tristan many times, too, and in her green eyes, Travis saw truth.  And tears.  Lots of tears.  It kind of tickled him.  That she seemed to cry every time he repeated those words, and he prayed that there would never come a day when she’d just brush off the I Love You’s he sent her.  

“You keep staring at me,” she said loudly, still studying her work, “and I might start searching for the extra head I’m surely sprouting.”

He grinned and approached her.  “How did you know I was there?”

She looked up, leaned back, and swiveled around to him.  “I always know when you’re there.”

“You didn’t Friday night, when I sat there on that couch.”

Her smile was easy and calm, belying the tell-tale sheen in her gaze as she looked up at him.  “That time, you snuck up on me.”

He gently tugged her to her feet as he sat down on her desk and tucked her body between his legs.  Holding her waist securely, he examined the gold necklace hiding at the vee of where the curve of cleavage teased him.  “How was your weekend?”

“Wonderful,” she sighed, placing her hands on his shoulders.  “I had dinner with this amazing man--”

“Amazing, huh?”

“Yes, amazing.  And his amazing son, and I shared a bottle of wine under the stars--”