Compromise Me: Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“Josie?”

Josie trotted up the front steps of her house and ran into her father’s waiting arms.  “Hi, Daddy.”

“What are you doing here?” he asked, holding her close.  “We were going to come help you pack up this weekend.”

“I know, but I finished early because Professor Mikovich got sick, and I wanted surprise you,” she said, not completely telling a lie.  It was all true...leaving out the little side trips she took getting back home.

“Please don’t tell me you drove from New York...by yourself?” he said.

“Okay...I won’t tell you that,” she said.

“Josie,” he began, but she quickly said, “I’m fine, Daddy.  Stop worrying.”

“Never,” he said and sighed heavily.

She stepped back out of his arms, gazing fondly up at him.  Her father had always been a tall man, handsome in his own way, she guessed, and in the last twelve years, happier than he’d ever been.  All thanks to meeting Hannah.

Oh, Josie remembered with her dad and Hannah did not get along very well at all, but that was back when Justin Kirkland hated all women because of how Josie’s real mother had acted through the first ten years of her life.  Josie also despised her mother, Beth...and she had good reason.  Beth had been evil and mean, and she told Josie to her face that she never wanted her.  Josie hadn’t spoken to her since the day Beth slapped her and Hannah tried to kill her for it.  Okay, well, kill was a strong word, but Hannah had definitely been pissed that day.  And that day happened to be the one which her dad proposed to Hannah, and they’d all been one happy family ever since...adding a few additions along the way.

Two of which poured out of the house behind Justin.  “Josie!” her eleven-year-old twin sisters squealed in unison, right before Josie was knocked back by their exuberant hugs.

“There’s my lovelies,” Josie said, hugging them back.

Both of her half-sisters, Rose and Violet, were the splitting images of Hannah, right down to the mischievous little smiles.  Their brother, Jak, was a year older than the twins, and the mirror of their father.  It was crazy to Josie to see her parents in miniature, like that, but she’d gotten used to it over the years.  They were adorable siblings, full of life and happiness, and the main reason Josie cried her eyes out the day she left for college.  It had been difficult getting used to living in a dorm with seven hundred other girls of the same age, when she’d been the oldest in her family for so long, taking care of her brother and sisters when her parents were working or out on their numerous dates.  Josie tended to take on the mothering role with her roommates at Berkeley, and she drove them nuts.  But, hey...they all had clean laundry on Sundays.

“You’re home!” Violet screamed in Josie’s ear, along with Rose’s identical yelp of pleasure.  Josie laughed and hugged them tighter.