Compromise Me: Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Josie delayed the whole studying-the-menu and questioning-the-waiter-within-inch-of-the-man's-sanity bit for as long as she could, avoiding the obvious smile on Brandon's lips. "So, Liv says you want to tour the region on an album-signing gig," she said, diving right into the business at hand. "You have questions about your contract with Raw?"

"Yes," he said, smiling broadly. "What do I need to know about conflicts of interest?"

"Well, basically, you are obligated to support the studio and provide a good opinion of us. No bad-mouthing in public. We have our flawless reputation to uphold, and if you have issues with us, we discuss them in private."

"In private," he repeated. "I like that."

Josie gave him a platonic smile of professionalism.

"So, I just have to like you?" he asked.

Jeez...can you be more obvious? "You should answer any questions about the studio in a positive light, or..."

"Or what, darlin'?" he asked.

Josie stared him right in the eyes. "Or just keep your mouth shut," she finished, adding a wide smile to soften the intended sting.

He chortled.

Chortled! Who does that?

"You are one sassy lady," he said, leaning forward and giving her that smoldering stare he probably perfected in the mirror every night, and usually attracted most women within a three-mile radius. Josie looked away and sipped from her water goblet. It didn't work with her. She thought he looked ridiculous.

I'm getting the raspberry tart to go with my steak...two tarts, dammit.

"What are you plans for this weekend?"

Josie nearly choked on an ice cube. "I'm sorry? This weekend?" she asked, wiping her chin with her napkin.

"I have this shindig at my manager's place," he said, full wattage in his smile. "I need a date."

"Ohhh...it's nice that you thought of me, but I'm afraid I have a wedding this weekend." She put an apology into her smile as well...just to keep her words and her body language polite. "Sorry."

"What about next weekend?"

Josie stiffened a brief second. Then she frowned. "Pardon?"

"You wanna be my date next weekend?"

"Another shindig at your manager's place?"

He chortled...again! "This time it's just you and me," he said.