Chapter 7

Lost. I stood there staring at the door lost within my own thoughts unable to make sense of anything. Nicolas is a centuries old vampire and I'm the current owner of his dead wife's soul...possibly the last owner of her soul. A huge part of me does not want to believe a word of it and in my mind I'm laughing at the ridiculousness but the tone in which he spoke to me, relayed every single detail of his past keeps me from dismissing his claims. His pain was too real. I can still feel it and see the sadness in his eyes. As crazy as it sounds, I think I do believe him.

That doesn't mean that I'm giving in though. The whole reason for why he has taken such interest in me is because he looks at me and sees Simone. I'd be lying if I said that didn't hurt. Why, I don't know because just a day ago I believed the man was a psycho killer and before then I placed him in the same category with the perverts that frequent the club thinking they could just buy me for their sexual purposes. Now knowing why he was so into me my mind plays on what would have happened that night he asked to have me the rest of the night. What would have happened? Is it possible that I could have--would have gotten the truth then? Hell no! Judging by the argument I stumbled upon earlier I get the feeling that he didn't want to tell me this soon and probably wouldn't have if that cop didn't expose himself to me. Armand forced his hand. He believes this theory that they've been following his sister's soul all over this world is crazy just as I do and when I think on it more, my confusion turns to anger. It doesn't matter what he thinks and what he feels because I'm not Simone and I'm not playing this game with him.

Just as Nicolas had, I stormed over to the door and let myself out into the dimmed hallway. I looked both ways before going in the same direction I saw Armand go in and found myself at the top of a winding staircase. Not hearing any voices I made my way down rushing toward the first window I came across. My eyes fell upon nothing. It was pitch black with not even a speck of light in the distance. A door sits a few inches away from it but where can I go in the dark not being able to see where I am or where I'm going?

An angry male voice prompted a quick glance over my shoulder. He was shouting pretty much and instead of the angry words being in Spanish it was some other language. French? If that's what it is that I can guess who the speaker is. It was followed shortly by the same sweet young voice I heard before. I really need to learn to mind my own business but right now I'll do no such thing. Taking steps further into the house I heard Armand speaking louder in what I'm sure is French now. To each of his responses the feminine voice replied in English. I stood in a dark corner that separated the dining room from the kitchen. From there I could hear everything clear as a bell.

"But when it this going to end Claudia?! We have been through this with Nicolas how many times now? The girl is not my sister just like the others weren't!"

"How do you know that Armand? Is it so wrong for him to want a new love? To search for what he lost so long ago?"

"I am not against him finding new love but I do not believe he can love these girl truly when it is Simone he is seeing in their eyes. It's not real Claud. The feelings are never real!"

"I don't know. Roland even said Nicolas' behavior is different this time. Perhaps there is more to this girl."

I don't know why but I took that as my cue to make my presence known. Stepping out of the corner I walked the rest of the way into the kitchen causing their conversation to cease.

"Oh, Rayne," A pale and very curvy brunette stood from her spot on Armand's lap with the brightest smile. Icy blue eyes bore into me with a softness that was also conveyed through her smile. "I was just about to come and see if you were hungry. You've been here for quite a while and haven't had a single thing to eat!"

My eyes drifted toward Armand and notice his cold glare on me. What the hell is his problem? He gave me that same look when he found me eavesdropping and even then I couldn't understand why there was so much animosity toward me. Instead of addressing that issue I shrugged it off with a quick answer.